1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back in the saddle again. Now i have questions.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kermit1414, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Kermit1414

Kermit1414 Junior Member

I would first like to say, great site, great people.

That amount of knowledge on this site is incredible. Thanks to all that contribute. Gotta love a search feature.

Back in my college days i ran a plow on Long Island for the family business. After 25 years doing commercial finance, i am back in....:D

The old ford f350...has been parked but maintained...and has 25,000 miles on it...like showroom new...well, for now...the fun part i have is i need another truck, 2 plows, blowers...and many extra parts.

The area i am moving to see's 300 inches a year and 75+ days with at least one inch plus a day.

Keep in mind, i know my #'s well. I have the residential down.
    But, pricing CONTRACT commercial work has me stumped at his rate of snow.

On a commercial lot....needing plow/salt...with a 2in trigger...say on average of 2 hrs a day, 75 days @ $150hr = $22,500 + salting. Sound right?

Take the same lot....zero trigger, zero tolerance...double the time...double the cost??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JT

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't live anywhere near you or even in the same Country but my guess is you're not going to see $150/hour for a pickup truck. All the power to you if you can. :drinkup:

3. Kermit1414

Kermit1414 Junior Member

Never said anything about just using a pick-up....

Even at that...the $150 mark might be a little high...for a pick-up.

but not by much...

Have a friend doing $120 hr doing drives.

Do you live in your tuck?:D ......J/K

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you have a set number of contracts the longer you plow the lower your hourly rate will be.At the beginning of the season I make 100% profit,then it starts to snow so your profit goes down.You just hope it stops snowing before you get to 0 profit.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What do you mean by "Do you live in your tuck"

You said you need 2 plows and 1 more truck. I guess I shouldn't have assumed you were going to use pickup trucks.

Without knowing what you're planning on using it's kind on hard to give you an hourly rate.

6. grandview

Meant ,are you homeless!:)

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Ohhh, I guess he meant "truck", no I think I have a home, or 2, or 3. :D

8. grandview

You do have to keep rebuilding your igloo every yr.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not this summer, it's the coldest I remember in a long time. What a change from last year. Almost to cold to golf today.

10. grandview

Almost:D:rolleyes:

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Actually worked today, but golfing tomorrow afternoon. Missed last weekend so I have to make up for lost time.

I think it might be a busy winter.

12. Kermit1414

Kermit1414 Junior Member

Im sorry...was just havin some fun.

I apologize...started to become another newbie what do i charge type thread.

Every job is different...Equit...size...difficulty...time.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

No worries, so were we.

I'm sure you have most of your #'s figured out, unfortunately this business isn't cut and dry. You find out how much you make when it's over.