1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Hoe

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by kramer56, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Ok I am looking into do some bigger lots and maybe a small housing complex style road or 2 and I really have no use for a wheel loader in the summer months so i was looking into a back hoe w/ a pushblade. What would be the widest blade one would put on a 4x4 80-100 hp backhoe. Most bucket widths i been looking at range from 84-112 i think. Anyone out there got a idea or a better idea lol?

2. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Really no one has any input at all?

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

12fters are pretty common on that size machine.

4. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

i was thinking 12 but a local rental company said that a 10 would be max due stress on the blade. 12 would be ideal for me tho.

5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I would look for something along these lines with a 915 of 1016 model

9 or 10 foot pusher, 15 to 16 foot blade for the light snow. The best of both worlds.

Myself I would go for the ten foot blade. You will find once you have a three foot windrow, you can only clear six or seven feet at a time anyway. With a twelve foot blade I would also load the front tires. Spring time I would have to drain them though for the muddy season here.

Backhoes are handy to have around all year long.

Good luck.

6. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Ok i had found a JCB 214 i believe its about 60hp or so. would a 12' blade be too much for lots or housing complex type roads?

7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I see your from NY state. I understand you get plenty of snow. I'm not really familiar with the JCB backhoes but in my opinion I personally would not put a 12' blade on anything with less than around 90 hp. More importantly it is the weight of the tractor/backhoe. The machine would have to be close to eight tons in order to handle a twelve foot blade, six to seven ton will do a ten foot blade easily under normal circumstances in my own experience. On the big storms I'd find myself cursing a bit.

A seasoned operator can perform what seems like miracles. It sounds to me like you are not one or haven't one on hand. I'm not belittling you, I just understand you are trying something new to you. Try a twelve foot but I believe it best to start a little smaller.

BTW if the rental guy is telling you that a 12' blade on a backhoe will stress the blade?:eek:....your dealing with the wrong supplier. The machine is more important, don't stress the loader arms. Inquire about a Horst, even do a search on this site about Horst. I have only heard one user ( I can't remember who) find a weak point with the product and he himself posted the remedy, simple fix. I think they are built like tanks and come equipped with proper relief valves for the application. I've only had the relief valves activate because of my own brain farts. No damage to the machine and no damage to the plow itself.

8. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

damn that was well put.