1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Hoe Loader Cloggs With Snow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ICindrich, Dec 28, 2005.

1. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I move snow around our shop (huge drifts due to 10,000sq" peaked roof) and job sites with our Ford 655 backhoe. Front end bucket always gets packed w/ snow. Wondering if any one has any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It's probably going to get snow packed in it no matter what you do. However, this may help...

1. Does it sit outside or in a heated shop? If it sits in a heated shop you should let the bucket adjust to the outside temperature first. What may be happening is the snow you are trying to push is melting and re-freezing to the bucket since is is warmer than 32 degrees.

2. Try lightly coating the bucket in diesel fuel. This can help keep snow from sticking.

I'm guessing your loader is kept indoors and that is probably the main source of your problems.

3. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

You could always get a snow pusher for the front, if u just wanna throw money at the problem.payup

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we paint our buckets every year if we have time. bare metal will absorb moisture more so than a painted surface, causing snow to stick.

5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Like the others have said, the bucket has to be as cold as the snow. You cant leave it in a heated shop and go out and move snow. Paint the bucket, spray diesel on it or pam or pledge .

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Every time you dump the bucket. While the cutting edge is facing down. Shake the heck out of the bucket. The shaking usually knocks the snow out of the bucket. Works good for wet dirt too. :D

7. phishoook

phishoook Member

put a little deisel in a pump sprayer and give it a coat.

8. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

spraying diesel sounds good but at 2.69 a gallon is alittle rough i mean granted he isn't spraying a whole gallon but it owuld add up i wouldtry some pam

9. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

At about $1.19 per spray can of pam it is far more expensive per gallon than the diesel fuel. 128 ounces per gallon. 8 ounces per can of Pam equals 16 cans at $19.04 per gallon:dizzy: payup

10. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

haha nice math, looks like someone has too much time on his hands

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

paint bucket

The snow does not stick to snow plows very much. Wonder if you painted with there "snow flow" paint the problem would be better?

Dave

12. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

i agree

A warm bucket or very cold temperatures make the snow stick. We use pushers now but when we used the buckets my brother started paintng them every year. I told him it's waste of paint but he proved me wrong. Paint doesn't stop all the sticking but it's about 75% better

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Common sense actually. Since Pam is expensive (and largely ineffective in my experiances) Pledge might work but is more expensive thn Pam. How about some used motor oil? That's cheap and can easily be cut with some diesel for spraying if needed- that's what alot of old timers used to use as undercoating on their trucks before the Govt and EPA stepped in.

We had the same issue in a much smaller scale several years ago with a Kabota loader we used for plowing- painting the bucket made the biggest improvement as it was kept outdoors or in an unheated garage.

14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It's just my opinion but I really wouldn't use any used motor oil. I know using diesel fuel as I suggested earlier is bad for the environment but I think used motor oil could be far worse. I bet it would work well though.

15. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

paint works. the glossier the better, as it has less pores.

pledge sort of works.

pam works for a bit.

weed burner your bucket until it is good and hot, and melt parafin wax onto it works better yet.

automotive wax on paint works.

teh BEST thing is UHMW plastic. a pain to mount, but no stickies.

16. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

Just last night the same thing happened to my ice cream scooper when I was having a bowl of Edy's Chocolate Chunk...think I should use a little spray of diesel on my scooper too?:confused: :D

17. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

lol:nod: you think this guys owns a backhoe and doesnt know that shaking the bucket will help dislodge snow and dirt?

18. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You would be very surpized how many new operators don't know that trick. :dizzy: Blows my mind.

19. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Go to your local JD dealer and buy a can of Fluid Film. More expensive than PLedge, but stays on for a while.

20. Dennis/Ohio

Dennis/Ohio Junior Member

A huge stainless steel bucket seems nice. The bucket could be huge for snow removal only. Its been years in my area but I do remember snow being hauled from the smaller shopping plazas. The loaders with huge buckets where expensive but a smaller loader with an oversize bucket would have worked in snow? Stainless steel isn't cheap, building it yourself or trading labor may work.