1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Draging

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TwistedMetal, Oct 14, 2007.

1. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Found this site very helpful, wish i had heard about it last year.i am new to plowing one year under my belt.made some mistakes and learned the hard way.seemed my biggest problem was back dragging with my western MVP. any tips for back dragging would be helpful. im also adding a snoway plow with down pressure to my jeep wrangler hoping it will make easier work of the smaller driveways.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The "hard way" is the best way to learn - you tend to have more thorough learning and the lessons stay with you better then just reading or hearing about them.

Not sure what your problems were with backdragging, but essentially:

Drive straight forward to the area you want to clear with the plow fully raised.

Lower the moldboard, making sure the plow is in "float" mode.

Back up slightly, at which point you might want to get it out of float to avoid "riding up" on the snow.

Back up about two truck lengths. Raise the moldboard.

Back enough to be able to drive straight into another run for backdragging.

Repeat process untill you've got the area cleared that you wanted to backdrag.

Turn around and back on the cleared area enough so you're completely behind the snow you just pulled.

Push forward to where you want it.

With practice, you'll know how much of a "bite" you can take with varying depths to avoid trails (snow coming around edge of plow on area you just cleared). You can also angle the moldboard just a little to take a little bigger bite. You can also be at full angle to windrow small amounts of snow while backdragging. This is useful for "plowing" gravel and hardpack before the ground is frozen as it will avoid some of the bulldozer effect.
  3. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

thanks for the input Mick,Did try much of what you said last year.just seemed like my F350 was packing snow all over, making it harder to to really clean-up the driveways.guess i need more practice and to be a little less picky.
  4. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Very good explanation Mick, I could not have said it any better.
  5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

One lil trick you can use on pavement. After you drop your blade to back up, only back up a couple inches, pull forward with the plow down in float still. What happens here is the plow will drop down when you slightly push forward. Then reverse with plow out of float. This often helps cut threw some hard spots.
    The Western v is not a strong back drag plow. That was my biggest gripe about mine.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

To loosen some of that packed snow.
    Plow toward the garage then stop short enough so you can back drag the pile of loose snow.,
    repeat until clear.

Are you using the shoes, skids, skis........ If so raise them up so the edge is firmly on the ground
  7. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Most of my problems are Rookie mistakes,Now i need snow to get the practice.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Sno-Way with down pressure is the greatest thing for backdragging. Works great.
  9. daninline

daninline Senior Member

make a backdrag blade with an old cutting blade one swipe and your done :)
  10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I don't know the workings of all plows but all the ones I've ever dealt with...There is nothing to prevent the blade from riding up. Even if the pump is not in "float". The pump is usually connected to the blade via chain on most plows... :dizzy:
  11. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Prepare to be flamed Wicked, you just hit a large hot spot me thinks.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't know why he would get "flamed", but that's why I put that "might" in there. You need to know how your plow works. Some will, some won't. Some are heavy enough to dig through to the surface on their own. Some will benefit more than others plowing forward a bit like SnoFarmer said. Experience is the best way to find out what works best for you.
  13. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

And what hot spot might that be?? I have never seen a plow that is double acting that can put solid down pressure on pavement...Sno-way has down pressure on some of there blades but I think they are the only ones..Not sure how the system works. All I'm saying is taking the pump out of "float" does nothing to keep the blade from riding up...
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

WesternMVP, Fisher Xtreme V Both are not its best feature! (backdragging). My Fisher ExtremeV did an ok job at best. On a scale of 1-10 on backdragging, I'll give it a solid 4!
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Guess wicked500r has never seen a Sno-Way up close or in use. Their down pressure has enough force down you don't want your foot under it. No Chains at all. A hydraulic cylinder pushes the blade down hard enough to take lift the front end of the truck. Not off the ground but enough that the suspension has no weight on it.
  16. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I agree that taking the blade out of float makes no difference... I tend to push foward to break up packed snow... leaving enough room at the house to get the blade over the pile, and then back blade... sometimes it takes a few passes... but works good... especially when it snowed like 2 or 3 inches and freezing rain came on top and crusted it over... just back dragging won't cut it... push foward, break it up... and back drag... Sometimes I'll even push foward, back drag and push foward again and back drag... but I can usually get it to the pavement...

Good luck!
  17. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Why not eliminate "back dragging" period? www.superplow.com pull snow away and plows in two directions like no other plow.:nod:
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Interesting product, but he has a blade and wants to know how.

I saw your video on the sight. Like I said it's interesting, but it claims to be almost two times faster? You need a new driver! lol What's the ballpark cost of a 8' blade? :eek: I just thought of something...I hope that wasn't you. I was thinking since it fairly new product, do you have demo blades? A big battery in a bed and the remote you could hook it installed on a pickup in 30 seconds. I would love to try one but like most, until we do we might be skeptical.

TwistedMetal The guys here are great and explained it well. I'll suggest watching a few guys plow or ride shotgun with a old timer to pick up some pointers. On thing I will ad is when you drop you blade you can also wiggle it right and left to have it sink and cut down. Then back up as far as you can so you can back in and push it out or have room to come back forward and slide it off to the side. Back dragging a spring snow that a driveway is wet under the snow will be easy, It when it's packed along with freezing rain and ice under it that even a big heavy blade or down pressure will not be getting down to pavement.

Good luck, ;)
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  19. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Product has been proven over 10 + years previous ownership did not market it at all just www sales. We bought the Co. and are taking it national. I was skeptical (as evryone else) but after using it through different types of storms convinced me. We sell factory direct mostly to save you $. 8ft. blade $2495 complete plow/mounting cart/wiring and shipping until 10/30. Thanks for the comments:)
  20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Thanks Bill. You're local so If I get over towards the Dover area, I would like to check them out.

Any one running one in the Nashua area I could see?