1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dakotaplowboy, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Are back drag blades really worth the money? It would seem that they would add some risk to tearing stuff up. I have a 7'6" western Pro. I am concerned that the blade might catch on some obstacle and possible mess up the blade, the plow, or even my truck. Any thoughts, how many of you use them, and do you like them. Thanks

2. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

sorry i have nothing to say about back dragging but that ...8inch comment ... made my day

3. LB1234

LB1234 Member

We have a backdrag bar on our 8' western pro plow. And we do NOT have one installed on the 7.5' western pro plow. The 8' backdrags and clears down to the pavement better than the 7.5'. It is a night and day difference. We tried them side by side. Its definately noticable. Of course this can be due to the added weight of the plow...I dunno know if its that much. So its now apples to apples but its pretty darn close.

In my opinion, if you find yourself having to backdrag residential drives, parking lots, driveup windows, etc. then it may be worth the 200 bucks or so it costs. Should have it paid off in one storm.

4. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I like the 8 inches comment. What part of South Dakota are you from?

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I use the backdrag blade from here and think it is great.

I do not use my Western that much so I put it on my Boss as they have the same bolt pattern. After using one for a number of years I don't think I would want to plow without it now. I don't have to backdrag the same spot 2 or 3 times now to get the same result.

I only paid $85 bucks for it and installed it myself. That was about 5 years ago I think but I wouldn't guess they went up that much in price.

6. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I am in Sioux Falls, How about you?

7. RJ lindblom

I live in Pierre. In January they open the doors of the capitol and all the snow seems to melt.

8. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I thought that they opened the doors and all the snow blew away. So what kind of truck and plow do you have?

9. RJ lindblom

Right now its just a shovel and snowblower, no parking lots please. I am thinking next winter, but I am always looking. I have a 96 3/4 ton long box extended cab chevrolet. And a 79 F-150 with a flat bed. I am also toying with the idea of something on my old H Famall. I want to stay away from a loader, narrow front.

Your right its a combination of hot air and wind, plenty of wind. How do you get along with Sioux Falls Drivers?

10. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

[​IMG]

Thats actually kinda neat......I can easily see where it would do a better job.

But that being said. I am pretty happy with the results I get from backdragging with the stock edge.

Enough to not want to spend a few hundred bux.

11. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Sioux Falls Drivers are fine with me. I am originaly from New York, More Specifically Long Island. Just got back from a Vacation and took the family into the city for a day. That will make you appreciate the drivers here. It is eat or be eaten out there, they are nuts. No offense to all you New Yorkers! I use to be just like you, and I must admit, I can still hold my own.
    Hey if you are looking for a plow, I got a good deal on mine through E-bay, I had to drive to Michigan to get it, but I saved a lot of money. Just be careful to read what is being sold.

12. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

clarifying my point

As Far as the backdrag blade goes, I have no hang up's with spending the payup. Here is my question, and that picture helps me clarify some more. I do not know what you call those round stopper deals that you can put on the plow to keep the blade from dragging. (I hope some of you know what I am talking about. Well I do not have them on mine, I was told I do not really need them becasue I do not plow on gravel, or loose surfaces. So with not having those I am concerned that if i plowed a drive way with a crack say in the concrete, If that back drag blade caught on an edge of that concrete, what would happen to the driveway, or maybe worse yet, my plow. Plows do not trip when backdragging. If I get a backdrag blade whould I put those things on? What are they called? Also while I am asking so many questions, What is IMO?

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

IMO = In My Opinion

I think you are referring to the shoes. They adjust using the washers. I don't use mine either. But they also help on paved surfaces so the edge wears at a even rate. After a couple of years depending on the amount you plow if you do not use them you will probably start to notice a high spot in the middle.

It will float over cracks. When you approach a crack the ledge before it will fill with snow and the blade goes over it. If you are back dragging fast enough to worry about tripping the blade then you need to slow down. I have never had a problem with it catching on anything. When plowing forward it never touches the ground.

14. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Thanks for the info, I think I am going to go ahead and get one. Any particular reason why you do not use the shoes?

15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I don't use mine because I have found they dig in on gravel backdragging and if I happen to go off in some grass they wont dig in either.

16. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Thanks for the info!!!

17. Llm Ann Arbor

man that picture is great,i did't realize that product like that available.i have a arctic plow and don't see it listed but i'll get in touch with the comp. mon morning and find out.maybe these blades are already here but i just haven't seen them.i plow full time and still get wet with excitement when it starts to snow.i live to play in the snow. i used to have a plow that attached to the rear of the truck,but i found that it was akward ,but it did have down pressure that was nice,but it still hung out over the back. generally if the snow was that heavy i would get the loader or backhoe out to do the back dragging.i do notice that my plows wear out a the centre pin,but i just weld her up and go again. OH YA ,NEW TO THIS SITE,THANKYOU SEAN IT IS JUST A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!! VERY INFORMATIVE EVEN TO AN OLDTIMER THANK YOU,have fun, gary snow, georgian bay ontario,canada

18. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Personally I don't run one and here is why.

I plow commercial only, all pavement and don't use shoes. I seem to always end up with the occasional driveway with peagravel or some sensitive surface. Usually I just backdrag that and it doesn't do damage or dig up. However, with a backdrag blade it drags.

That said, the majority of my sites don't involve much backdragging and get salted anyways.

19. AJ Watson

AJ Watson Member

20. Bryan C. King

Bryan C. King Junior Member

Why is it that nobody seems to sell a backdrag blade for a fisher?