1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wfd44, Feb 11, 2004.

1. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Around here a number of the plowing contractors have attached a bar across the back of their blades for back dragging. it basically hangs from the blade and does not effect anything when pushing but it kicks to the front when back-dragging and is supposed to make the blade scrape better in reverse.

The questions:
    Does it actually work (is it worthwhile)?
    Does anyone have any pictures of a set up like this?

2. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Do a search, there are pictures , at least for a Fisher.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I use the old trick of pushing the snow up the driveway first and then backdragging it. This works pretty good and gets most of the snow up.:waving:

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I do the same thing, about a truck or two length, and back up and push forward.

5. apkole

apkole Member

Just a thought if you are doing alot of backdragging with the front plows. These plows are designed for pushing, not pulling. I've noticed that on my oldest Boss blade, the pinholes for locking the swivel of the blade (hole not used of course) are out of alignment. This indicates wear at the pivot pin hole at the plow sector. On the old Meyer and Western plow, this hole would eventually wear through the nose of the sector, and while back dragging the blade would pull loose, pulling the cylinders loose as well. The new blades may have heavier gusseting in this area to allow for backdragging, but I would recommend disassembling and inspecting this area every season or so just to verify the structural integrity of the pivot assembly.

An ounce of prevention . . . . . .

Andy

6. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have a back-drag blade like you describe and it does work well. Of course, a plow is going to scrape better going forward but the BD blade definitely helps.

7. YenkoCamaro

YenkoCamaro Junior Member

screw that buy a rear blade!! so much quicker back in and pull out!!!:gunsfiring:

8. Patriot

Patriot Junior Member

doesn't the back dragging blade pack with snow and ice?

9. YenkoCamaro

YenkoCamaro Junior Member

i have used two different brands and have never had a problem with the snow sticking to the rear plow. the only thing you should be worried about is if your truck can pull the plow while its full of snow:salute:

10. JunkFood331

JunkFood331 Junior Member

Hey APKOLE last weekend after reading this thread I looked at my plow and noticed the same thing. :eek: The holes weren't lined up. The pivot bolt was worn considerably and my a-frame was starting to crack. Just wanted to say THANKS a bunch. :D I fixed it before I had a really big problem.

11. zyter

zyter Junior Member

I agree with Yenko. Why mess with back dragging with a blade that is not designed to pull snow. A backblade is the only way to go. There's no need to push forward then pull back. You will not clean near as well. The backblades have down pressure to scrape properly and do the job efficiently.

We use them in big lots as well as drives. Two blades are better than one. Time is money!!!!!