1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging without smart lock cylinders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by R&J Whitetails, Dec 27, 2015.

1. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Hi I'm wondering if there's anything to adjust so my plow doesn't fold when I back drag. I have a 8'2" boss v. I am back dragging under 4-5" of snow and going slow and it seem to really fold the wings in. Can I adjust anything on it with out buying smart lock cylinders?

2. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Try tightening the return springs on the wings

3. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

When the blade is straight there's a gap between the coils already. How much more should I go? One other thing, the coils on the bottom are loose when I grab them. Is that normal?

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Tightening the springs will not prevent the wings from folding when backdraging. You have them adjusted properly if their is a small space between the coils. Do not over adjust them.
    The springs on the bottom are trip springs. They should be adjusted the same way.

5. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

It won't stop it completely but it will help. Yes don't over tighten them. You should be able to just fit a business card between the coils

6. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I can more than fit a business card between them and I have t touched them.
    The bottom spring adjustment needs to be done when the blade is straight?

7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Don't tighten the wing springs too much , they will snap . If you hear a noise like a gunshot you will know what happened .

8. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Right. I don't think I'm going to touch them. What blade position do I need to have to tighten the bottom springs??

9. SHAWZER

I do mine with the blade straight .

10. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I will have to try that. Ok one other thing just in front of the lower springs is a triangular piece of steel that is slotted with a bolt going through it. What is that for and where is it suppose to be set at? Mine is in there crooked

11. SHAWZER

Go to the Boss site , lots of good info to answer all your questions ....Thumbs Up

12. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I got my questions answered at boss thanks shawzer.oh and they told me to put my plow in a v and adjust the springs. I did that until I could get a business card through the center of the spring seems a little better now back dragging.

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Just get the locking cylinders... If you're back dragging at all you need them.

14. SHAWZER

I put my older blade straight because needed more room for 5 foot bar to hold springs from turning . Like others have said just get locking cylinders .

15. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I will look into them for nxt year. Thanks

16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

An old Chevy I used to have had an rt2 v without locking cylinders, frustrating to say the least.

17. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Yea it kinda is

18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I ended up selling that truck before I could buy the smart locks, but if memory serves I think it's 300ish to buy two new smart lock cylinders. That's worth it in my book.

19. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Better look again. Now they're $300+ each! How do you like Toro now?

20. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

That is correct they are over $300 each!