1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging without a backdrag blade.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow-mott, Nov 17, 2003.

1. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

Hey all...its our first season with plows this year and we have two WEstern standard 7.5's for our f-250's. Question is this...until this we used a skid loader to do driveways...but i've been reading on back dragging and thought that may be a really nice thing to do. we push at 2" on average...what tips are there to back dragging with out a blade. are the pads going to ride up on the snow? and if so how can this be fixed so we can still plow forwards without having to change things around on the truck?

thanks a lot.

p.s. i did look at the FAQ but still had questions..
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't have many problems with my plow, western 7.5 Pro, but you might want to look into a Western Back drag edge.
  3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

When you say "pads" do you mean the plow shoes?
  4. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

My two cents: leave the pads/snow shoes off. If you are on concrete, drop the blade and pull the snow back. It may take multiple passes to get it all the way to the surface because you are lacking down pressure (at lease that is my experience with the old Meyer, don't know anything about Westerns). On stones/gravel drives, I back dragged 90% of them. Doesn't move as much stone.
  5. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

yeah thats what i mean...i'm still a newbies with all of the terms heh.

What will be some negatives with keeping the shoes off?
  6. mpflood

mpflood Member

back drag

back drag the length of your truck and turn around,back in and finish the rest in drive. As for the Plow shoes,we all have some laying around in the garage:cool:
  7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I actually leave mine on. I have both the feet and the edge touching the ground. It scrapes clean, and the edge lasts longer than if there were no feet. Just my $.02
  8. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

Negatives of leaving the shoes off: 1) more likely to move tons of gravel/stones if you are on that surface, 2) some say the wearing blade doesn't last as long when on concrete.

Me: never was worth the hassle to put them on. A lot of our snows, the gravel will still be soft underneath. The pads just sink in and you are back to square one (moving a bunch of stones, which the customer didn't want to happen).
  9. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

MPFLOOD said it. Use the shoes to hold down dust off in the corner of your garage.
    Drive straight in and back drag the length of your truck. Turn it around and shove the white off into glory frontwards.
  10. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

if your plowing gravel drop the plow all the way down then left about 1 inch high then plow thats what i do never had a problem