1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging with V plow.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by zman300, Dec 17, 2009.

1. zman300

zman300 Member

When I back drag the blade won't stay straight.
    Both sides just flop around no matter how little snow, does a lousy job.
    Is there an adustment for this, I didn't see anything in the manual.
  2. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I just got my 7.6 Vee and did not have any problems back dragging during the last little snow we got... are all your springs adjusted properly? There are a couple of attachments which Boss makes to keep the bade strait during back dragging... not sure on $$...
  3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Do you have the smart lock cylinders?
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

If you dont have smart lock cylinders it will do that.
  5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

To a point, the plow shouldn't flop around even without the smartlocks. It may move a bit but if its being manhandled something's probably out of adjustment. You'll need the smartlocks when back dragging a lot of snow or heavy wet snow. I know a few guys who backdrag without the locking cyl's and they work fine.
  6. zman300

zman300 Member

Not sure if it has the smart lock cylinders.
    How tight should the springs be.
  7. overtime

overtime Senior Member

the dealer told me put a bus. card in the spring and tighten till the card just goes though with no problem
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The return springs have nothing to do with back dragging.It will back drag pretty good after the wings extend out. Real pros don't need smart locks!
  9. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

You've plowed already? We got like 1 inch so far. :)
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it moves around that bad then there's no Smart Locks on it. And do not attempt to compensate for it by tightening the wing springs, all that does is shorten the life of the springs. :salute:
  11. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

My dealer to me that its the packings in the cyl. oil is bypassing threw because of pressure you can put new packings in but it will do the same after some plowing he said to get smartlocks if it bothers me that bad and at $200.00+ for them i will live with it i dont have to back blade that much.
  12. zman300

zman300 Member

Not sure what to do this thing is terrible for back dragging.
    I have to do my loading dock and it leaves a lot of snow in there.
    I will end up shoveling it out.
  13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

14. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Sounds like you need to buy some smartlocks - the time and effort saved from shoveling will more than offset the cost of the new smartlocks over time.
    If not what about a rebuild kit for what you have? Sounds like the other guys are getting by with just a good working set of cylinders.
  15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Just go buy the Smart locks. It's a night and day difference. They should be STD equipment anyway, it pisses me off that Boss sells these V's without them.
  16. zman300

zman300 Member

I'm not a pro maybe I do need smart locks.:p :)

I'm new to Boss, how exactly do they work.

Yeah maybe the cylinders need a rebuild. That would be an easy fix.
    I'll stop at the Boss dealer today see if they have parts in stock.

If you're dragging just a few inches of snow should the wings stay straight.
  17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Boss V and you need the smartlock cylinders. Period. End of thread.
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can't end thread yet. Been plowing with my v almost 10 years never had a need for them and it back drags just find.Including loading docks.
  19. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Yep I have a few drive ways that want done no matter how much snow!!
  20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

you sure you dont have smart locks? what keeps the plow from folding into scoop when backdraging?