1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging with a v

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BMPM, Feb 16, 2007.

1. BMPM

BMPM Member

does anyone have any suggestions for back dragging with my v plow without having smartlock cylinders? every time i try to back drag my blades pull forward and end up loosing more than what its worth.

2. payton

payton Senior Member

slowly.. and learn to work your buttons .. keep bring ing the wings back it a *****..thats why smart locks are a great item.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yep and when i drop my plow to backdrag i always have the blades slightly angled back instead of being straight. the wings seem to not move as much that way

4. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

Smart Locks

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED.....................

I HAVE A BRAND NEW SET OF SMART LOCKS FOR SALE !

NEW IN THE PACKAGES !

E-MAIL ME AT axelshack@klinktech.net

5. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I try to backdrag a little different. I only use the drivers sid e wing so I can lean out the window to see whats happening. I put the drivers wing out to the scoop position. Pull in to the area to back drag. Drop blade. As you back up cut the steering to the right so the plow swings in an arc. I found the time I piss away trying to bckdrag with the whole blade I can easily cut way down by only using theone half of the blade. I have'nt talked myself into coughing up all the money for smarties. They are SALTY.payup payup payup

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hi guys, I have found that if I leave my vee blade in the postion it is in like when traveling from job to job, and then leave it like that when I am back blading it seems to have more down pressure that way and I can get under the snow. I do have smartlocks on my plow and I love them. But that is just my 2 cents on this subject. I guess it is just however you want to do it really.

Ryan

7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I do that also.
    Mike

8. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Get the smartlock rams. There a bit of money but well worth it.Boss 9'2 v with smart lock. 7 years going and no problems.:drinkup:

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

How much would smartlocks be for a 7'6"v?

10. BMPM

BMPM Member

Central Parts Warehouse has smartlock cylinders for $255.99 ea. they list for $ 295.00 ea. I am gonna get a set this summer for next year. This way i can get closer to buildings and back drag. Gotta remember i'm runnin a dually and have to watch my sides around objects.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

BMPM, do you know what mpg you get with ur truck? Iv been looking at a few trucks and some of them have the 454 and im not sure i want a motor that big for a truck that is daily driven. Also does the mpg drop much with the blade on the front? Thanks

12. BMPM

BMPM Member

on the highway she gets about 20 mpg and local about 14 mpg. with plow on just driving the average is 12 mpg. The truck has a 454 with a 4 speed auto and a 4:10 gear in the ass end. The one thing i gotta say is she'll push the hell out snow and piles that people build while shoveling their cars out. The best place to run is on the interstate because u can be doing 85/ 90 mph and feel like 65. I've even pulled a couple of tractor trailers up small inclines because the couldn't get traction. The truck did'nt even break the tires loose doing it.

13. AJ Watson

AJ Watson Member