1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging with a Blizzard 810?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Assassin, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Snow Assassin

Snow Assassin Junior Member
    from Indiana

How does this plow backdrag? Is there a concern with damaging the wings if they are extended while backdragging?

Thanks

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Geez, that's a dang good question!

I know that is a pretty tough snowplow. They are quite heavy. Someone will chime in here on this issue. A lot of Blizzard guys on here. Did you call the manufacturer? What did they say?

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

as far as i have been told, back dragging with the wings out is a no no.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

That would be correct. Not in deep snow, couple inches ok. Keep an eye on wings that you don't over extend them forward. Will break internal spring.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would tend to think that there is also a "chance" that snow could pack into the slots the wings retract into and form ice and hinder their operation if you back drag a lot with wings extended.

6. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Mine works great for backblading with the wings in

93 K3500, 6.5 turbo diesel, 810 blizzard
    89 K2500 8' fisher,buyer 600# spreader
    99 polaris 500,5' plow,gamefeeder 100# spreader

7. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I been hearing about not backdragging with them out. Why is this? What does it do to the plow that is so bad? I am considering this plow for next truck and am wondering.
    Thanks
    Rob

8. Bolts Indus.

Read my above post. you will be more than happy with a Blizzard 810 as long as you know how to properly operate it. Like all tools. :)

9. Chris Marino

Chris Marino Junior Member

We run 10 blizzard 810ss and backdrag with the wings in and out. We have never had a problem ever.

10. Bolts Indus.

That is very well and good and you must have good operators, but when you snap an internal wing spring, and it will happen, then refer to this post. :)

11. Greensway

Greensway Member

I have found that 8' of plow is plenty for those occasional backdragging needs.

12. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

What is this internal spring and what does it do? And what causes it to snap?

Thanks
    Rob

13. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

I just got a 810 and it will be installed on the 9th is there anything I should look out for or anything I should get extra. :waving:

14. Bolts Indus.

When the wing is extended and you retrive it there is an internal spring in the wing box that assisits the return to straight position. if you back drag and over extend the wing by backing into a snow bank then the spring will break.

15. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Thanks for the info Bolts.

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Why would they only had a spring to prevent them from going to far forward, you would think the hinge point would have some sort of stop to prevent this.

17. Bolts Indus.

The spring is not to prevent the wing from going to far forward. It assists the wing to return to straight.

18. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

We have a 810 and back dragging with wings in or out no problems. As with amount of snow it didn't seem to matter, 2" or 6" also we had plenty of icy and slushy storms last year never a prob with wings sticking. Now to be safe after every storm I washed plow off religiously as well as truck as we all should with all plows. As far as broken return springs I did break one and it was a warranty fix to further add, we added a second spring to each wing and no probs since the load of the springs is carried by both alot less strain on any one spring. A quick note to all those buying new Blizzards have your dealer add a second spring on install the plow already has the holes to mount the springs so an easy add on. Hope this helps a few out.

Bob :D :D :D :drinkup:

19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

So the 810 has still does not have some sort of stop to prevent the wing from being pushed forward??? It makes since that there should be some sort of method for stopping it, or is it just me??

20. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Extra info for the 810

Thank for the info on the spring I will call My Dealer about this if anyone has any more info please let me know