1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Dragging or Not

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nate456789, Feb 8, 2010.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well this was the first real storm of the season where we plowed 20+ hours and the snow was heavy.
    I was disappointed in the V-XT - I know you guys are going to give me crap but the V is horrible for back dragging.

I actually switch out back to my K2500 - C8 when I started doing my residential drives because the V just would not clean the drives off.
    Did great when I could push but not when I had to drag.

Also when I was cleaning up the wind throws the wings were folding back. The snow was heavy but not that heavy. The C8s would stay straight but not the V.
    Any weight and the wing would fold back to the truck. Maybe they should have the smart locks work the other way too.

Are you guys modifying these to help with back dragging?
    Really didn't want to have to get out of my new truck in the middle of the night and get back into my old truck. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the new equipment if it wont do everything my old existing was doing.

And to top that off I am still having a wiring problem with the pump motor not shutting off. I think I have narrowed it down to the connector on the plow side. But for the money I dropped in this thing I should not have any wiring problems.
    And mid state was no help in the middle of the storm either. I am taking it back today to see what they are going to do about it. I am tired of working on this plow! I hardly ever had to work on my Meyer plows other than change the fluid.
    :angry:
    Thanks for letting me vent - Very frustrating last couple days.

2. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

Did the dealer you purchased the plow from offer you Smartlock cylinders for the plow as opposed to the regular cylinders? That could be the problem with the wings folding back when you backblade...The cylinders are expensive but most dealers should include them in the price of the plow...

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

First off your not going to back drag 20 some inches of snow and have it come out like it was a normal 2-4 inches. Second the weight of these v blades seem to be getting lighter. The whole unit itself might weigh around 1k but the blade itself might only weigh around 200-300lbs. and thats the only "weight" of the plow that hits the ground. Most of the weight is on the head gear and frame to the truck. My Fisher Extreme V was terrible at back dragging until I put a set of back dragging edges on from "backdragedge". Mine was a proto type and I'm not sure if they are in production as of yet but what a difference! Call Jerre in Erie Pa he can tell you what models are in production. His # 814-899-2171. Well worth the money. Do a search on my review of them and pics. I think the thread is "finally back dragging edges for my V blade"

4. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have smartlocks - they don't fold when back dragging. Just when I was pushing with a 1/4 to a 1/2 of the blade into the wind throw from the previous pass.

5. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks I am going to have to do something. Wish I had them tonight. We have another storm coming in the morning.

I understand that it will not be the same as 2 - 4 inches. We only had 9" And after 5 or 6 passes in the same spot I should start seeing some pavement. It would not dig in at all.
    Even pushing and then back dragging it would just pull the snow back into what I pushed without cleaning it.

Thanks for the number

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

No problem. Mine was doing the same thing as you are describing. Those edges definitely helped a lot.

7. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Hmmm..I have the V XT and I think it backdrags really well. I usually go forward a bit and get it to dig in and then go backwards but don't put it in float for the first drag. It seems to work better that way. Then I give it a second drag in float if i left a little behind. I also usually scoop it slightly.

The only time I've had it fold in on me is when catching curbs or trying to slice into a pile from the side. Found out the hard way that they fold in far enough to put my rocker panel in the pile and dent it :(. I don't know if the releif valve is adjustable. I know it's there to protect the hinge so that it will fold in rather than damage the hinge.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Snow loads can vary greatly and thus affect performance but I'd say it needs the wing reliefs adjusted Nate, they're set too soft. And although you can adjust them yourself easily with a little direction from me I would refrain from doing so since it's under warranty, have a dealer do it.

You also have to remember any snow load against the wings will be greater with an XT, of course because the potential is there to have more snow load pushing against the outer taller portion of the wing. But I'd still say it needs the reliefs adjusted if you're stating that the snow wasn't too awful heavy.

9. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

The next storm I talked with some of the other guys plowing that night with Boss blades, they were having the same problems. The snow was heavier than it looked. It was just a ruff night for everyone.
    I secured my 13 pin connector with zip ties for this storm and made sure nothing was hanging down. I did not have any relay sticking issues this time.
    So maybe the snow was knocking the connector to a position that was giving me a floating ground.
    The floating ground was Mid State's diagnosis on the pump motor staying on.
    It is tough to trouble shoot an intermittent problem.

This snow was lighter than the last and the truck did a little better back dragging but I will have to invest in back drag blades next year if they decide to make them for the 8.2.
    Either that or give up the residential plowing. Which is not a bad idea either.
    The boss makes a great sod knife with the curb guards. I will be fixing some sod in the spring because of it.