1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging edges on a V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just bought back dragging edges for our V blade and I was wondering who else has them and how well do they work. My problem is, I thought just the weight of this plow would peel off the "tire marks" when back dragging but it wont on the first attempt but I really dont want to back drag these driveways in our condo's more than one time, its very very tight and there are 25 driveways just on the upper half alone and about 100 parking spots on the bottom half. I really need a back blade set up!
  2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you did the right thing...Let us know how It works for you.
  3. Brian Young

Yeah, well installed the edges and found the backdragging edges to be 3/4 of an inch lower than the blade. So I measured the gap along the entire plow and from the center of each side there seems to be 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch worn off the cutting edge already. NOT VERY HAPPY! I have probably just under 10hrs of plowing on this new plow and the cutting edge is worn down at least 1/2 of an inch. Going in ten minutes to the dealer and asking for a new cutting edge. Hopefully we'll be back out tonight--2-4"expected and an additional 3-6 tomorrow and another 4-6 tomorrow night.
  4. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Let us know how that back drag works. I have not used my plow yet and debating if I should buy one for my 9.5 Fisher Extreme V. If it works out for ya I will def buy one also. Hows the New fisher V working out for you? Lastly, how much was that back drag kit for your plow?

5. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Thats sounds like it wore real fast there Brian. Iwould guess the cutting edge and your new Back Drag edge,should be at the same distance off the floor.
    If you run Into trouble with the same...You could maybe make the holes oval with a torch...that would give you some adjustment...hopefully a new edge will correct the problem...Keep Us informed and snap some pics...I want to make my own.
  6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Easy fix to this problem. PULL PLOW. Best for driveway and condo work. V-plow and a pull-plow is a great combination. Works well for loading docks, gravel drives etc. Other than hydro hoses, I have never broken anything on a pull-plow. They are tough as nails.
  7. jokatico

jokatico Junior Member
    from Maine

Does Fisher make a backdrag blade for V-plows?
    My warranty says it is void if i alter my plow.
  8. Brian Young

Yes they do. It was a Fisher part number and a Fisher label was on the packaging. We took them off! After a big fiasco about the cutting egde. We got a new 1/2 cutting edge instead of the 3/8 OEM one. We also installed the curb/shoe kit, its supposed to make the cutting edge wear 10 times longer. All the edge looked like was a piece of 3/8 steel bent at a 45 degree angle that bolted up with the carrige bolts from the cutting edge. There were slots to go around some existing frame work on the plow but other than that it was a simple peice of steel. We never got to try them out. We have since started having our sidewalk guys do these driveways, its too tight any way to try and turn our truck around to back drag the opposite driveway and there is, I think 30 driveways(15 to a side) and tons of landscaping along each driveway, plus thats too much forward and reversing in one area in my opinion. The main drive that runs between the driveways is only 10ft wide, so like I said its very tight. I might try a back blade next year but if the sidewalk guys are doing a good job then whats the point?

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Was the part only for the new Extreme V's or for all Fisher V's? I could use one for my 9'6 EZ-V and my 8'6 EZ-V
    Guess I will call the dealer tomorrow
  10. Brian Young

I think it was only for the Extreme V's but I'm not positive.