1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back dragging a HTS using scrape lock feature.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KIVALO, Dec 26, 2012.

1. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

Hi all,
    I am new to the forum, name's Brad, and I have a quick question. I own a Western HTS and here in NYS we are getting pounded right now. I will have to plow a fair amount tomorrow. My question is about back dragging and the scrape lock feature. How do I "engage" this feature? When I lower the blade the green light comes on indicating I am in float mode, but I would like to have the plow locked into position so I can better back drag some snow. What am I missing?

BTW, I have searched on this topic and I was only able to find this thread...
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=93807&highlight=back+drag

I don't expect you folks to re-answer a question that's already been answered so if I missed a few search terms of something please let me know and I'll do the leg work myself.

Thanks in advance.
    Brad

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I don't know for sure, but if you tap another function when in float mode does the float indicator go out and the blade stay down? If it does, then it should be locked down.

3. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

Yes. I just went and pushed out my brother's driveway to play with it. It seems if I lower the blade until its enters "float mode" then tap up the blade stays locked. Then I I have to tape down again so the blade is in its lowest position. I will have to work on my timing so I can do this in one smooth motion and avoid the jerking around of the hydraulics.

Brad

4. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

I just finished my morning plowing and the backdrag performance is still crummy. I have made a point to ensure the plow is not in float mode but it still raises up ontop of the snow much to easily for "scrape lock" mode. Any idea's on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Brad

5. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Check out page 74 of the Mechanics Guide. There's a pressure setting that can be adjusted.

6. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

Thank you, I just downloaded that. In your experience is that the most likely issue?

Thanks,
    Brad

7. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I don't have an HTS nor have I ever used one.

I just saw this in the Owner's Manual on page 22:

Maybe you need to leave the plow in float?

8. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

Looks like I'm taking a trip to the dealer then. I appreciate your suggestion and will be asking about that at the dealer as well.

Have a good new year.

Brad

9. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Try just putting it down just until it hits the surface, it should backdrag better that way. If you hold the down button for 2 seconds then it goes into float mode which you don't want for backdragging. If performance is still poor, due to the weight of your plow you may have to buy a backdrag. If you are doing lots of drives you may want to get one anyway. Get the good hinged style backdrag. Hope this helps.

10. 07titan

07titan Member

Hey Brad - I have the HTS too. I just bought it new this winter. I am also having issues with the plow lifting over the snow.

The manual states that in the float position with the green light, to tap the up button to UNfloat it and lock it in place. Sometimes when i do that, it lifts it an inch. sometimes is stays. BUT if it stays down "locked" in, it still lifts. The pressure thing sounds legit. I am going to have to look into that.

Have you heard anything yet from anyone else on what it could be to improve with out a back blade? Here is a link for the back blade, BUT I have a couple rock drives that wouldn't work the best with a back blade. I mind as well plow forward lifting the blade.

Here is a link to a back drag blade:
    http://www.snowplowsnj.com/index.as...4384718&gs=1&gclid=CPDysK22w7QCFZGiPAodUmwApg

I'm gonna read more to find out.

11. 07titan

07titan Member

I agree above - It's prob the pressure. I'm going to adjust mine tomorrow. The dealer here said you have to adjust cause the manufacture has it adjusted extremely low for safety. Let you know how mine improves.