1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back drag edges for plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amars415, Nov 26, 2007.

1. amars415

amars415 Member

This is a link to a web site that I just found in "Turf" magazine. They look pretty cool. Does anyone have one of these? Only problem for me is that they do not make an edge for blizzard plows... oh well hope it can help some of you!
  2. My home-made

Mine is similiar
    For $150 , it may be reasonable if it is an easy bolt on.

The concept is proven in my experience.
    A huge time saver.

If you ever have to back-drag,..give the idea.. some thought.

Someday I will photo my angle iron version.
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

something i have always wondeed is, when you put a b-new backdrag edge on a old blade with a worn cuting edge is there elongated holes in the B/D edge to adjust for this or do you have to put a new front edge on at the same time

i have thought about taking a peice of mild steel and puting it in a brake and bending it myself, yes mild steel will wear quiker but the front edge will not allow it to wear any quiker than the front edge

how usefull are B/D edges? i understand they would work for 1-2" for about 2' untill the back side of the plow filled up but i think it would still "float" idonno
  4. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I think they are not for trip edge plows which means no good for me.
  5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Seems like alot of money to me! I never had a problem backdragging with my standard cutting edge...
  6. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I have one , ordered it from them at the beginning of last season. It works great. I was having problems with backdragging a couple of resi's that I had, where there was some serious hardpack in front of the garage doors. Figured I would give it a try, install was a piece of cake, and the blade works awesome. No more floating up and over, bites in and stays in.
  7. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

No, the backdrag edge just wears until it cathes up with the front. It really did not affect forward plowing at all.

I have pulled mine through 5-6 inches and it does pretty good, you do get some floating, but not as much as without the backdrag edge.
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Geez, too bad it DIDN'T have notched holes. That would work great. I don't think there are any other backdrag edges that are like that, either. They recommend installing a new wearbar when installing these to get the most use out of them. The one that was built by one of the members here would be about the best bet for making adjustable. I'm talking about the one that was hinged and sort of stood up and bit in when backing up.
  9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hey man we just ordered two for a customer .these babies are killer if you compared them to a western back drag edge ,you would walk away from the western it's a joke .
  10. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

It says for Boss/Meyers/Hiniker/Snow way has oval bolt holes to match worn front edge. It is in the installation section.