1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back drag edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by highlander316, Dec 30, 2007.

1. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i picked up a back drag edge from my dealer the other day. When we put it on today, the front was too high off the ground! I could stick my whole hand underneath of it. No matter how we put the edge on (front or back of board) it still did this, so I took it back off. Anybody else have this problem?
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Your suppost to install the western backdragg edge at the same time you install a brand new cutting edge. Your cutting edge is worn, so thats why its sitting up off the ground when the backdrag edge is installed.
  3. highlander316

this is a brand new plow, only used twice. We compared to it to my buddy's which was used for 2 years and his cutting edge is the same length. Would the cutting edge wear that much after only 2 minor storms?
  4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

no....and they are slotted to allow for worn edges...i have no idea...pics...
  5. 96f250

96f250 Member

Yeah that is right the are oval slotted so you can push it up, my plow is 4 years old used in every storm since and i was able to slide it up so it all sat level. yes the back drag edge top sticks up about a half an inch higher then the front cutting edge but everything is level.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Try to adjust the trip springs so they are both on the ground at the same time, just a thought?????
  7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have seen this problem through my dealer. now i make hinged ones for them to sell.
    Measure your front cutting edge in 3 spots to get the heights on how it wears and then measure the backdrag edge too and see if they correct. Can you get any pictures?
  8. highlander316

the holes on the edge are not oval, just circular. We thought about adjusting the trip springs, but it looked then like they would be too loose and the plow would be tilted forward at a ridiculous angle in order to correct it. I'll swing by the shop tomorrow and get a pic of the edge.
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Can the holes be redrilled and cleaned up at lower points to allow the backdrag edge to be moved up?
  10. highlander316

that's possible, but I would then have to cut part of the top part of the edge off. Thought about making one like I've seen on here, the hinged kind.
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Why would you have to cut part of the edge off?
  12. highlander316

the top of the edge hits the bottom of the blade, unless you are talking about the front edge?
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Ok. Now I'm confused. It is the Western that is just a piece of stock that is bent at about a 45, right? Are you meaning that it will only move so far up until the crease (bend) is at the bottom of the moldboard, so it (the backdrag edge) won't go any higher? If that is the case, then I understand what you are meaning...
  14. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

If thats the case,Like Runner says...Then that back drag edge Is not the right one for your plow
    But normally Its sandwitch Inbtween the cutting edge and the blade with ovals or slots to give you that up and down adjustment. As far as those hinged BD edges.....I would forget about that,And I would not recomend you putting one on your plow.

edit....Sorry I just realized how old this thread Is.....But anyways Its just my 2 cents
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009