1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Drag Edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by M&M Services, Dec 4, 2006.

1. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Quick question..does anyone run a Western back drag edge?? here is my dilemma I put one on before the big storm and the thing suck*d......I had my shoveler get in the truck and I watched as he back dragged and what was happening is the snow would get in between the back drag and the cutting edge and push the plow up....anyone have this problem??? needless to say I took it off after I was done plowing for next time...

2. Trueduelz

Trueduelz Junior Member

i didnt by one of those because i thought that might happen. i guess thats all the proof i need. good luck

3. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Someone agrees with me......they get packed full of snow and ice. they also make a ton of noise. I use a hinged backdrag and wouldn't go with out it.

4. M&M Services

from midwest

where and what is this hinges back drag edge?? any pics and how does it work???

5. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I also am interested in making one. What angle does it lay in relationship to the back of the blade? Strait up and down or angle opposite the front edge?

6. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Here you go...It's 1/2 plate with two brackets on either side(4 total). It's got all grade 5 hardware. When it folds down it rests against the back of the plow frame for support and so it doesn't let the snow go over the top. In my experience you want to try to have the angle vertical or slightly forward. If it's angled back to the truck it will chatter more then vertical or slightly forward. But.....some people think it will scrape better if it is angled back. So it is up to you it's my opinion. This one is one snowfall old on my pro plus and I do have a new blade on it now. If the cutting edge and BD edge is new the BD is about 1/2 inch off the ground. And yes I have broken one...I hit a curb going back wards and busted off the corner at the hinge where it was welded (weak from heat??). In 10 yrs one broken isn't bad.

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

backdrag edge

looks great, but it looks like it leaves alittle bit. how much does it leave?

8. killakane138

killakane138 Junior Member

yup

Got One One On My 88 Chevy Works Like Fking Champ And As Far As Your Problem,.... Lose The Damn Lift That Truck Sits Big Enough As It Is, What Kind Idiot Has A Plow Truck Lifted Anyway???... Lose It It Will Do Wonders

9. BDB

BDB Senior Member

That was on hard packed snow and I only drug it back a foot or so. My driveway is the last to get plowed if it gets plowed at all. It really cleans well...definitely better then nothing.

10. M&M Services

from midwest

As far as the comments, know the whole story before you open your mouth....
    here are a few more examples of them working like ****..
    99 F-250 stock height 7.3 power stroke, western uni mount... did the same thing
    93 F-250 stock height western uni mount... did the same thing!
    So Can I contribute it to the lift maybe so!..have I thought about putting it back to stock, a few times but the truck plows like an animal and back drags fine with out it! BDB very nice set up!! and it seems like BDB has experienced a western back drag with no lift!
    Thanks and have a good day...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  11. wahlturfcare

back drag

i kinda thought so, but wasnt sure. it does look good though. i might make one for my 1 ton.

12. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

would you be willing to make one for my plow, 8.6 pro western???? how much and when..

13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Nice BD blade you made there, I think I will make one for my plow as well. Glad I read this thread about the Western BD edge not working real well. Did you just use a piece of 1/2" cold rolled steel or is it hardened like a cutting edge for the blade?
    BDB - could you please clarify what you said in the above quote, I don't understand it. Thanks.

14. BDB

BDB Senior Member

When the cutting edge on the front is new and the backdrag is new the front edge will be about 1/2" off the ground when backdragging (see the first photo). When you push it will jus fold back (see 2nd photo). That is just a refrence height for how tall the BD blade is. Also I did not make this one...I bought it from Aspen Equipment. But I have taken an old blade about half worn and used that to make one. There is a local welding shop here that makes a similar one for about $300. Any welder should be able to make one....he welds the brackets to the blade.

15. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Ah OK thanks, I am goin to use an old edge like you did to make mine. When using the BD have you found it would work better if it was any taller? This would give more room for snow before it piles up and lifts the whole blade.

16. BDB

BDB Senior Member

It shouldn't lift the blade unless you have a lot of wet heavy snow packed under the A frame. And your not going to get around that other then multiple passes. If you make it taller then you have to it will just be farther out behind the blade. When you have it angled it will stick out and you may hit something (curbs) with it and it will bend it....push it to the other side.

17. M&M Services

from midwest

BDB that is a sick set up! That will hopefully be in the works this spring!!! I like that Pro Plus also :drinkup:

18. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Thanks! This thing will move some snow...especially with the wings on it!:nod: You can't go wrong with one. But put the price of the plow and wings together and you have the price of a Blizzard 810. Makes you look twice but there are things I like about the Pro Plus/Ultramount that I like better.

19. wahlturfcare

back drag

This question may sound stupid, but when you go to back drag how does it fold down for you? do you have to lower it on reverse or what? im curious. from looking at stock backdrag ones, this is alot better designed.

20. BDB

BDB Senior Member

When it hangs it is hanging straight down. If I drop it while stopped it will be standing on the back drag. Drop it while stopped or started backing and it will stay standing up. If you are still moving forward it will fold down then you have to raise the blade to get it to stand up.