1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back drag edge

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NHDIESEL, Jan 13, 2011.

1. NHDIESEL

NHDIESEL Junior Member

anybody know where i can get a back drag edge? the plow i want to put it on is an older fisher mm1 - 8ft.

hit me up with a website and or place to pick one up in nh/ma area thanks

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

3. NHDIESEL

NHDIESEL Junior Member

4. RoCo

RoCo Junior Member

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

These don't work on Fisher (trip edge) design plows tho it looks like the best for full trip I have seen.

6. RoCo

RoCo Junior Member

Perhaps, but according to the guys at backdrag.com all it needs is a little notching here and there. A difference of opinon, perhaps, but I am certainly not and expert.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I could be wrong, and it's happened more often than should be allowed, but it would appear if one were trying to install this kind of drag edge to a trip edge style plow not only would it be a custom process (drilling the underside of the trip edge to install) but notching would have to be so large it would remove sections of the drag edge completely. I find it hard to think no one has done it before and it's not common place if it were practical but then again it took 50 years to improve the wiper blade from exposed framework.

8. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

If you bought a Hiniker C-plow you'd have exactly what you needed.

9. Magic Carpet

Magic Carpet Junior Member

I just got a quote back from these guys for a 7'6" blade - $430 installed. A little pricey, but they were also offering 24hr turn-around on the install.

About 2 years ago, I thought I remember a fab shop in the Western part of MA that was building these for about $250-$300. Anyone else have any suggestions?

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

OK, here's another for you. I talked to a local welder/fab shop friend of mine. He does an 8 foot edge, installed at his shop for $325. The local Fisher dealer refers people to him when they need edges and plow repairs.
    He's been around a long time and knows his stuff. I don't know turn around time or how busy he is at the moment.

Paglia Welding
    58 Lacombe Street
    Marlborough, MA 01752-2804
    (508) 485-9353

11. Magic Carpet

Thanks! I'll give them a call today. I've been emailing a shop in Chelmsford, he was offering 2 day turn-around and would build one for $300. Being near the RI boarder, I'd be willing spend the extra $25 to save that in gas!

12. Laszlo Almasi

One thing I think you guys may not realize is that with that amount of money, the most you're going to be able to clear in one drag is about 12".

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, for one personally, it's not a common thing for me to let 12 inches fall without plowing. Second, the stock fisher without a drag does a mediocre job dragging anything over 4 inches without compressing it which is where the drag edge really helps and on top of that, I would think part dragging, or dragging the top 6 inches off with the blade partially up then going back for the remainder would cover it.

Chris Paglia is a good guy- known him a long time. I delivered newspapers to his family's house when I was a kid and he welded the frame on the bicycle I used to deliver those papers when I cracked it at one point. FWIW, directly across from him the that complex is a great motorcycle mechanic too, if you need that kind of thing come spring.

14. Magic Carpet

I think he might have meant that you are only going to be able to drag back about 12 inches before what you're dragging goes back under the forward cutting edge. Or at least that's how I took his comment.

I didn't get a change to call him today. My contractor called me in for snow removal! keep it coming is all I have to say! I did get to check out his website, I was hoping to see some pics of his back blade design. If you have any you could post, that would be great!

15. Laszlo Almasi

You are correct Magic Carpet. I meant 12" of clear horizontal before the plow floats up and doesn't clear down to the pavement etc.

16. Magic Carpet

Laszlo - Does that have to do with the attack angle of the particular back drag edge? Or is it due to how high off the ground the forward cutting edge is?

From seeing back drag edges in action locally and looking at the pics posted to this site, anything does a better job than just using the front cutting edge to back drag a driveway away from a garage door.

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

But then you'd be stuck with a Hiniker! :laughing:

18. Laszlo Almasi

You wish. I've never been stuck with my Hiniker. It works as expected, and does a better job than most others I have seen. One of my guys just commented to me that his Western doesn't seem to clear as well as mine does...and his is relatively new.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  19. Laszlo Almasi

Primarily due to the height of the plow lifting hardware. When the Hiniker flips overs, you get a much higher pull point and that allows you to get a longer cleared area before you have to drag again but it all depends on how far you are trying to clear and how far down. If you, or your customer, is content with only a small spot, the the Hiniker will most likely not benefit you. But for me and my customers, having a cleared area throughout the entire walking area is the biggest concern.

20. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

You sure. I just put one on my Fisher MM1 and it still trips fine. And it works great.