1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Drag Edge for Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Newfie Ranger, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Newfie Ranger

Newfie Ranger Member

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this forum since last winter and have found it of great value for answering newbie questions. This is my first post, so here it goes.

I am buying a new new cutting edge for my 7.6 pro plow and was thinking about getting Western back drag edge as well. I have a garage at the end of my driveway and do alot of back dragging. I was wondering if you guys who have a Western blade with a back drag edge might be able to tell me if you find them to be any good to use. I have read that they built up ice up and then are not much use plus they take some time to wear down first before you see the benefits of the back drag edge. Just wondering what the pros and cons are before making the decision to put one on my blade. Thanks in advance for your input.

Neil..

2. Comet

Comet Senior Member

There pretty good, their worth the inexpensive investment

3. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

How much was it? I just searched there whole site and couldn't find a price anywhere.

I saw someone on here saying they could sell a cutting edge with a backdrag edge for $200

5. JR Snow Removal

I called and got the back drag blade for $200 to my door that was just for the back drag blade not the cutting edge for the front of the plow

6. Mudchevy

Mudchevy Junior Member

I bought one for my 8' poly ultramount and I hate it. Snow gets stuck between the two and when you drop the blade, it falls out leaving little piles. Have a welder build you one that swings.

7. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

I have spoke to many plowers and most guys plowing driveways seem to like them

8. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

I have one one each of my mvp's and love them. Work great on driveways and I have never had a build up of any sort.

9. Newfie Ranger

Newfie Ranger Member

Thanks guys for the information. I'm going to pick up a cutting edge and back drag edge this week.

10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Dont waste your money on one!! I've had one and its just one more expense! they dont work as well as they say when you are plowing it doesn't allow your front cutter to scrap as well because you spread the weight out over to blades instead of one.

11. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Ordered mine. Love mixed reviews. I will see for myself. Im going to Fluid film the heck out of between em.

12. KingDuramax

I am happy with my backdrag edge. Worth the investment to me.

13. JR Snow Removal

I agree I don't think I'll plow without one and as for the snow getting stuck between them haven't had that happen:confused:

14. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

I have a different opinion... I think the western backdrag egde is garbage (I get the ice buildup in between the front and back blades.
    There are some good aftermarket blades out there. I seen one that has a hinge so when you drag it flips up and applys all the pressure to the back drag edge

15. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

16. JR Snow Removal

O didn't see you had a western one. I have one from backdragblades.com sorry

17. KingDuramax

Mine is a Western and I dont have issues with ice buildup.

18. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

mine is a western on my pro plus and that thing is absolute garbage..the ends are already bent in towards the front edge...poor excuse for a backdrag if you ask me..im gettin a swing edge built mon. well see how much better that works out

19. pottord

pottord Junior Member

I built my own for less than $50. I hit the welding shop to pick up a piece of 1/2 by 3 by 7 foot steel. I picked up some scrap stuff from him at the same time to make the mounts for the blade. Took some 2 inch angle iron to make the plow mounts. I use grade 8 bolts for the pivit. Works great.

20. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i make ones similar to commando trailers one and love them. I have used the western one and you have to have a new cutting edge on the front and they do pack full of snow from my experience.

With the hinged, you use either the front or the rear blade and the weight is dispersed one to each blade better to scrape.