1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back drag edge for 8' HD

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mpgall26, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Forgive the repetitive question, but any leads I found didn't pan out.
    I need to find a back drag for 8" fisher HD in Massachusets (or online with good pics). I am aware any fabricator could make something but I don't know any who have done it and the shops I ask either don't understand plowing mechanics or say it will ruin the plow. I love the trip edge but i have so many accounts that need a blade.
    I'd appreciate any new leads, Thanks

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I have one that I had made for my MM1 but never used. Its AR400 steel and I have the mounting hardware. I'm in CT. =PM if you're interested.

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

There was one up on craigslist and another guy that makes them in Wilmington.

4. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Ford Fisherman, sent you a PM Thanks.

chevyzrule, CL seems like he's selling the plow but I'll try him anyway and do you know how to contact the wilmington guy?

5. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I had mine made by a welder in out of southern nh a couple years ago. He has a welding truck comes to your house or business to fab it on site(I live in MA). It works great and doesn't effect the function of trip edge at all. Best $250 I've spent

I'll try to find his card and post his contact info.
    Here are a couple pics of it

bd4.jpg

bd3.jpg

bd1.jpg

6. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

do you think something like that would work on a 8,6 v?

7. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

1-28-12 160.jpg

1-28-12 161.jpg

1-28-12 162.jpg Got it today, thanks for the help. I hope I get to try it soon. Seems like a wicked aggressive cut since its design is to basically be perpedicular and drags at a 90 degree angle rather than sorta lean toward the front. I have to find a place to really drag it for real. no time today and have a feeling it is gonna leave a heck of a mark, to many people around. We'll see.

1-28-12 160.jpg

1-28-12 161.jpg

1-28-12 162.jpg

8. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

KNPC picture #1 of your blade show it standing at 90 degrees as I mentioned mine did. Is that where it stops when you back up or does it slide at an angle toward the front. With your cut outs it initially looks like it flips under toward the front when you drag. I was told to slightly angle the blade and it will help the chatter, but I'm still concerned 1) that its gonna tear up anything I drag across especially with 750# plow and 103# back drag and 2) if I catch something it has no way to slip over it. I realize it will get the ice up, but maybe the manhole cover too. I hope it doesn't rip out the rams or something.

9. chevyzrule810

This the backdrag from the guy from wilmington? How much did he charge you?

10. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

yes, that's how it sits when i'm backdragging, about 90deg. I've never had an issue with it catching on something, I don't think it will be a problem for you. And angling the plow a bit does reduce the chatter

11. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Chevyzrule, yes thanks. $350 and he put it on at his place on the spot. I was outta there in 10 minutes. Good guy. I kept his # if anyone needs it.

12. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

KNPC, thanks, I was worried thinking it should be angled. That 90 degrees angle seems like it will just rip stuff apart. I'll have to just give it a shot.

13. chevyzrule810

when he mounted it did he have something under the blade to lift it off the ground or did he just have the plow on the ground like normal and put it on that way?

14. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I pulled into the shop on a relatively level floor and dropped the plow and just mounted it from the ground. He measured and center punched my blade and hooked up some odd looking drill mounted on the blade for the holes. He claims he's had a slow year this year but 50= last year w/o a complaint.There's no way there will be anything left on the ground but holy crap it seems like a lot of stress on the plow frame, no give..this thing rips it up. I need snow since it's probably not smart ruining parking lots to test it on dry pavement.
    I just noticed pic#1 looks like a bad weld or something but it's just fluid film I sprayed.

15. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

both blades were sitting on the ground

16. chevyzrule810

did you make your rubber snow foil?

17. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

back drag

I had the back drag edge from the same guy in Wilmington. Im not knocking him or the edge but it must need a breakin period because when I first used it the plow jumped (chattered) so bad I thought my plow lights(intensifiers) were going to break off. I even tried draggin it backwards a long ways in a lot and it still jumped, It was also leaving little rows of snow where I had just backdragged from the jumping.The guy I plow for wanted me to try it at a couple of places but after the jumping and losing plow ground clearance so the edge was getting hung up causing turf damage that I had to take it off, It`s laying at the end of my driveway now. I think if it did lean towards the front edge a bit more it may have been better but I already have 2 extra holes and dont want anymore. The ground clearance thing isnt beacuse I have IFS, my truck drops less than an inch with the plow up. He said he`ll put it on one his beaters and try to break it in.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  18. chevyzrule810

I had the same problem with mine I made.The edge like to jump and I cringed everytime I backdrag. I was plowing the house next door and my father thought it was thunder rumbling.I solved the problem by putting the plow on the truck and lifting it up and hitting it with a grinder giving it not so much of a square edge.Now when I drag its sounds fine and my lights aren't bouncing around the headgear anymore.

19. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Like the pervious poster said, once the backdrag edge is worn in a bit and no longer square the chatter is minimal. The only time mine chatters now is if I'm backdragging a couple inches of light powder ( like backdragging on dry pavement ), other than that it's not an issue. I noticed the design of mine is slightly different than some others on here, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I also bolted a short chain to the backdragger and welded a hook on the backside of my plow. This way on accounts I don't need it, I can take a second and chian it up out of the way and can't hook something when pushing over curbs on my commercial lot.

20. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Yes snow deflector I just put on myself. I think the grinder is what I may do.