1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Drag Edge Blade on 7'-6" Ultra-Mount Pro-Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dondo, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I have picked a couple more driveways this year and am thinking about adding a Back Drag Edge Blade to the plow. The current cutting edge on it is not new (only 3/4's light use season) and it has ever been flipped to the new side. Can I add a Back Drag Edge Blade to the plow with the cutting edge as is, do I need to flip the cutting edge first, or should I just start with a complete new pair of cutting and back drag blades? Thanks for any insight you might be able to give me.
    Thanks,
    Don

2. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

You should be ok with that amount of wear up front. Your back blade will be a little cleaner at first but they will wear together in a short time.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I went out and brought a new blade for my pro at Angelo. Now I am taking the old blade and making it into a back blade

4. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

Let me know how that works out. One of the guys in the shop next to me tried and it didn't work. He said something about not being able to heat it to the correct temp when he bent the angle. The first time he used it it just snapped off at the angle he made. I'm no engineer so I don't know if that is correct But you might want to check that out before you out a lot of effort into it. I ordered a new Back Drag blade from my Western dealer. It is on 2 week back order and they are getting $95.00 for them.

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

There's no heating up one of those edges and having it survive. They're made of very high carbon steel for wear resistance. Heat raises the hardness to a point where they become so brittle that they break like glass every time.

I've never seen the need for a backdrag edge on a Western, they're about the best backdragging plow around just as they are. We tried the factory Western backdrag edge on a Pro Plus a few years back. Any sticky or wet snow would build up in the "V" shaped area on the bottom of the plow between the two edges and freeze solid... then the plow didn't scrape well forward or backward. We took the backdrag edge off and threw it in the scrap pile.

6. twinman326

The blade is a straight blade...Nothing to heat........welding (4) straight pieces onto the blade..This is what it should look like

backdrag30.jpg

No bending..Just two cut for the shoe mounts..

Here is the web link
    http://www.commandotrailers.com/backdrag

backdrag30.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck with that...

8. Racer593

Racer593 Member

Looks like a simple idea that would work pretty well. How much is it?

9. twinman326

I really don't know...But it does work...Not that hard to do it yourself...If not, have someone you know how to weld, do it for you..The information is on the web link I pasted.. Very simple.. I use 1/2 angle, and 1/2 flat. 12- 3/8X1" bolts lock nuts...

Everyone has there own view.......Your the only one who makes the final decision. Like I said in my last thread, I went out and brought a new blade from Angelo's supplies. I use my old blade for the back blade..everything is done, now I have to weld the straight pieces on to the blade, then blot the angles on the back side of the plow..Look at the web site.........