1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back drag cutting edges

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DrakeSabitch, Nov 29, 2010.

1. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

having a buddy weld one together for me with my old front cutting edge. curious how everyone else has designed theirs..

Picture 066.jpg

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Are all of those cutting edge bolts actually attached to something or just rusted/welded in to look better? Do you have a bar behind the edge that runs the length of the plow?

3. DrakeSabitch

stole the pic, not my plow. but i'm assuming the bolts are left in so you don't see holes.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

5. DrakeSabitch

here is mine, just got done. Just painted it, now all i need is some cotter pins and a couple more washers. Also, if i decide to spend the money which i probably should, ide like to bolt a poly cutting to the back dragger. The one here in the pics needs to wear down a lot before i use it this winter, its griding the asphalt way too much. A poly cutting edge will keep my customers and their driveways happy.

IMG00009-20101207-1118.jpg

IMG00010-20101207-1118.jpg

IMG00012-20101207-1118.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. DrakeSabitch

couple more pictures...just waiting/prayin for some snow. and in case you were wondering, yes that is a can of Fluid film

IMG00014-20101207-1144.jpg

IMG00015-20101207-1145.jpg

IMG00016-20101207-1145.jpg

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Came out great, I'd love one of those.

8. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

that's a good looking truck there too!

9. Pushinsnow

Pushinsnow Junior Member

Here is my HPT Hydrualic Power Trip installed by Maher's Welding in Tilton New hampshire. I can trip my cutting edge all the way back to backdrag. It also breaks up packdown snow and ice. I can adjust the attack angle to cut better. It's powered off the plow pump. I flip on a switch and turns on a diversion valve. Hit the plow switch left and the blade trips. Then I hold a little button on the joystick and right with the joystick and the trip springs will force the blade back to normal position. There is an extra oil reservoir mounted to the headgear. Still in the process of painting right now, I'll try to get a video of it in action one of these days.

IMAG0032[1].jpg

IMAG0033[1].jpg

IMAG0034[1].jpg

IMAG0035[1].jpg

IMAG0036[1].jpg

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

How much do they charge for that setup? Do you have any pictures of your wings? Those look like an interesting setup too.

11. DrakeSabitch

yea i agree with plowguy, definitely an interesting plow you got. lets see a video of that soon working. ide like to see it.

12. Pushinsnow

Pushinsnow Junior Member

Installed for $1300. Do it yourself was $1000. It's a weld on kit. I don't think that company is in business any more. There web site was backdrag.com, but it's no longer working. I got it installed in 2005. It makes it easier to put the wings on also, were I don't have to fight with the rubber against the cutting edge to put the back washer and pin in. Also when the rubber folds behind the cutting edge I don't have to get out and fix it, I just trip the edge and it folds back infront of the blade. By the time I get home it's already dark. I'll try for some video with the wings on this weekend... stay tuned for more.

13. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

now thats cool!

14. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Heres the one on my 1 ton p/u. Its made by a welder I know locally

[​IMG]

15. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Is that attached only on the ends? Is that a piece I see running along the top edge?

16. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Yeah sorry the pic kinda sucks. It does have a piece running all the way down for strength and yes it attatches with 3/4" bolts at each end. I know several people who have run this same setup for more than 10 years without a problem. Its a great set-up. I think they are around $325? I dont remember for sure.

17. hauler1000

hauler1000 Junior Member

nice ideas

18. hauler1000

hauler1000 Junior Member

How well does the back drag work?

19. hauler1000

hauler1000 Junior Member

nice work on the fab

20. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I think I am going to steal your ideas Crossbone and Drakebitch.:mechanic: