1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back drag conversion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intimidator, Dec 18, 2003.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

Is there any way to convert a 7.5' western plow to make it back drag better and still have functional skids? I've also got pro wings, if that matters any.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Why do you run the skids?
    No one I know runs skids/shoes.
    They leave trailers all the time.
    I have never had problems back dragging without them.
    The first thing contractors tell me is to get rid of the shoes if I have them. Ask around in here no one uses them. you will never clean as well back dragging as pushing. But that's a hazard we deal with.

3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

get rid of the shoes. They are mostly designed for use on gravel roads.

4. BIG M

BIG M Member

The first thing I did when i got my new Western home was take off the shoes.
    They make great small boat anchors but thats about it.
    In gravel I just raise the plow up a bit.
    As for back dragging.. Well It is what it is..
    It will create ice faster though if you don't get it clean.
    MJ

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Back-Dragging with my Snoway (Down-Pressure) cleans pretty well.....

Derek

6. intimidator

intimidator Member

Thats the problem, about 40% of the lots/driveways I do are gravel, and even with the pro wings, if you don't use skids, you'll end up pushing more gravel than snow. On concrete I always 86 the skids. What about just trimming the rubber on the wings til theres about 1/4" of daylight. Right now they're almost holding the blade up.

7. Iron Mike

Iron Mike Junior Member
    from N.H

I have had a backdragger installed on my fisher plow it works pretty good .
    Mike

8. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Why not get a back blade for your truck?? We run Daniels back blades on all our trucks with Fisher blades on front. They sure make a clean sweep.. Much better than the front blades can do.. They're also good for picking up the trails left behind from the front blades.

Just a thought.. granted, an expensive thought but still..

Paul

9. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Iron Mike,
    Where did you get the bakdragger for the Fisher? I didn't know they made them for the Fishers.

10. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Well, as with just about everything on this site, it all depends on your situation...Me, I like the shoes because of the one residential lot that has a stone driveway. by adjusting the shoes i can clear the snow and now worry too too much about the stone being moved along with it. But that is my situation. Then, when I'm done I get out of the truck and adjust the shoes so the blade hits the ground, not the shoes.

11. Iron Mike

Iron Mike Junior Member
    from N.H

I got it at a small welding shop in Salem Ma. Works pretty good.
    Mike