1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back drag blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by yardguy28, Feb 10, 2014.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

looking for opinions on back drag blades for plows.

how well do they work? thinking of getting one for my v blade. but I wanna make sure it will perform as I am wanting it to/thinking it will.
  2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I put a half inch new western cutting edge on and was going to put a back dragging blade on I didn't have to it scrapes down to the pavement like I said use the 1/2 inch edge
  3. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

I've heard bad things about noon hinged ones, we have a hinged one and works great, can't get them for vblade though which sucks cause that's what i use
  4. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

The back drag blade works great on my Hiniker C plowThumbs Up
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

A back dragging blade is only as good as the weight of the plow. Unless you have a down pressure plow, it's not going to work a whole lot better then a normal blade with no down pressure.
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

that's what I would tend to think and would be afraid of.

currently I back drag my shorter driveways and then push forward the remaining snow and move the pile with a shovel or snow blower.

on my larger driveways it would only have to work well enough to clean a spot for my truck to get into.

I'm using a boss 7'6" v blade.
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Sno-way with Down pressure can't be beat - true.

For the rest of us a back drag blade is hugely helpful. It trys to cut an angle into the snow thus lifting the weight and trys to keep the plow from floating.

I have a v-plow with backdrag blade and it's the only way to go. wesport
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Don't own one (yet) but I tend to disagree. The curvature of the blade makes it want to climb on top of the snow when back dragging, so putting an edge on the backside pointing in the opposite direction would make it cut in again, wouldn't it?

I have a Fisher straight blade I'd like to put one on (since my boss v's do the flap flap flap). Do they clear the trip edge mechanism on a Fisher?
  9. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

well I found out today they don't make a back drag blade for a boss 7'6" v blade so it doesn't look like I'll b getting one.

of the people on here who have posted and the ones I've talked to in person the general idea seems to be that it isn't gonna back drag THAT much better than just back dragging without a back drag blade.
  10. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

It's your plow. Nothing beats this for back dragging:

11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i mad my own hinged one for my 9' v and it helps out alot on packed down snow. Usially I dont need to used it on light snows due to the v's weight so i just roll the truck forward to release the backdrag edge.
  12. pascack

pascack Junior Member

Meezer. do you have this blade? I am a newbie but this looks like something would break much quicker....more moving parts....
  13. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

unbelievable is all I can say about my C-plow
  14. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

looks like i'm gonna be sticking with the way i do things now. which works but just looking to shave some time off the smaller driveways if i can.
  15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I made 1 for my 8'6 arctic out of old cutting edge it works great. I haven't bothered with one for my 9'2 boss v. Maybe 1 day...

It is all about the angle, if you can get it to plow forward it's got the weight to scrape backwards.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  16. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, I do have a Hiniker C plow. It's heavy duty, works great & I haven't had any problems with it. They only regret that I have is not buying one sooner than I did .
  17. pascack

pascack Junior Member

good to know...thanks for the feedback!
  18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I looked into one when I was shopping for the 3/4 ton. I could get two year old stock (complete with rust) on a C plow or for about $1000 LESS I could have a brand new 8.2 Boss V. Then when I finally decided on a truck, it came with the 7'-6" Fisher, so I just left it where it was.
  19. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to build one for my blade but I decided it does well without it.
  20. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I have backdrag edges on all 3 of my fisher blades. I'll never plow driveways again without one!