1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back drag blade 9'2 vxt review

Discussion in 'BackDragBlades.com Discussion' started by allagashpm, Dec 13, 2014.

1. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

So I got one of these on my vxt and had promised a review so here it is. The install seemed fairly painless aside from the shop not getting the shipment in for 2 weeks. I didn't want to replace my cutting edge since it is only on its 3rd season. The bdb has adjustable brackets so as it wears you can lower it which I liked. The shop put it as high as it would go but still had to grind or cut part of it off to line up with the cutting edge. Seems like a clean install and looks pretty factory aside from the yellow. I think it cost around 300 and they may have charged me an hour for labor I would have to check the receipt.
    in terms of performance I have only had two events so far..one was 8-10 of wet snow and one was 3-4 inches of snow and slush. On the first storm I wasn't dissapointed by it's performance, but I guess I was just expecting a little more out of it. Is it better than not having it? Yes, but the improvement wasn't that dramatic in my opinion. I think part of it still has to do with the weight of the vxt. Part of the reason I got it was because it was a lighter plow, but it tends to ride up when back dragging. The bdb helped it dig in a little more and keep it down better. This was 8 inches like I said so that is definitely a lot to back drag, but the video I saw the guy was dragging a ton of snow with that f350 diesel so I guess I expected that.
    On the second storm I didnt run my full route, but this Smaller storm it performed much better. Seemed to scrape a little cleaner. I think if you plow with the storm and go out every few inches you would be happy with its performance. I think anything over 6 inches you still benefit but it isn't as pronounced (over factory). Would I buy it again? Probably, but that is just because the vxt is not good at back dragging and I feel like anything would help it. I think the price is a bit high, but it is solidly built and doesnt affect forward scraping. I will add to this as the winter progresses and I use it more, and I will add some pictures as well. Overall I would give it a 6/10

2. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Thanks for taking the time to review.

3. snowpushinglimo

snowpushinglimo Junior Member

When plowing, does the bdb 'float' or is it in a fixed position? I too have. 9.2 poly vxt and am considering. Just don't want it to be fixed when pushing. How much cutting needed to be done? Any close up pics? Thanks