1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back drag balde

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by VThick, Jan 21, 2005.

1. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

People have been asking how I built my back-drag blade so I thought I share how I made it.
    Here are some pics, and the list of materials with dimensions on how to build a back drag.

1 cutting edge.

2 pieces of 1/2 inch steel plate iron 6 inches in length.

2 pieces of 2x2 1/2 inch thick angle iron 10 inches in length.

Take the plate iron and the angle iron (see pics) mate them together with a pair of vice grips and drill a hole through the both of them, I think I used a 1/2 or 5/8 inch bolt. Use one with some beef to it.

Weld the plate iron to the plows mow board, and the angle iron to the back drag blade. See pics. The top of the plate iron should meet the the top of the angle iron welded to the cutting edge.

Bolt them together and theres your back-drag.

It took me about an hour and only costs about $120 to do.

Good luck,

2. cuttinggreen

cuttinggreen Junior Member

that is a slick setup......Do you have any support in the middle of the blade?
    Do you find that it flexes at all when dragging?
    Does it give a good clean drag?

I have been trying to design one similar and have had these questions as to how it would work.

Also, does it affect how the blade trips?

Thanks for your help and for the pics.
  3. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

looks like you did a real good job!! I have 2 ?'s for ya..

1- have you found it marks up pavement at all?

2 - when using the blade to push forward, have you found that the backdrag blade accumulates snow? i ask because of the spring placement..

Like i said before though, good job!!
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Real slick setup!

I heard that Fishers don't backdrag all that good due to the cutting edge angle.

Did you design this or did you see others with it?

You could easily patent this!
  5. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

Back drag blade

Wow thats a lot of good questions,

1- The Steel cutting is hard enough where it does'nt flex, it hits on the bottom of the spring assembly, which is spaced enough so it reinforces the back drag.

2- The back drag cleans better then the front blade, its good for the 2 to 3 inch storms we get. It cuts through packed snow and ice, does real good job for the picky customers with blacktop yards.

3- It is far enough back where it does'nt bother the trip edge.

4- I have never had any marks on blacktop, one minor adjustment I am going to make is to grind off the last inch of the angle iron that is welded to the cutting edge on a 45 degree angle.

5- as for dragging accumulated snow, the back drag swings backward when you are plowing forward. It may accumulate a small amount of snow but not enough to say so.

Hope this helps you all. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask

6. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Vthick, quick get to the patient office, go , now , do it!
    Sell the idea to the manufacturer who bids the highest. payup
    Lots of good thought and fab work man.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That thing looks great. After you see one it never looks that hard but to come up with the first one and would through the little imperfections is time consuming.
    I like your truck also. A short box is the perfect driveway machine.
  8. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

We have backrag blades on 11 plows and feel they're essential for residential work. Ours are adjustable to address wear and use clevis pins for quick removal in the event one breaks or isn't necessary in a small storm, to avoid chattering. see pic.

backdrag blade (2).jpg
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would love to build one like that with the cutting edge, but wouldn't it be more beneficial to have it on an angle rather than completely vertical? It seems that if it was configured like /( rather than l(, it would dig and stay down a little better.
    On the one on the bottom (the ones with the clevis), does that just swing freely so when it is moving forward, it just drags lightly, but when it is pulled backwards it swings toward the plow and clinches at an angle? That is a pretty cool setup.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  10. Pete7

Pete7 Member

Has anyone made one of these for a fisher ezv?
  11. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Nice set up--Ooh won't work on a Vee?
  12. danno

danno Senior Member

I just finished mine like VTHICK. The other thing I did was use 2 bolts on each side to attach the cutting edge, instead of welding. I can just remove the cutting edge.
    Also I used 1/2 inch wider metal on all the pieces.
    And cut off the entire angle thats facing back going up to the flat stock.

I also thought of putting more of a degree in a piece of angle iron, and welding the back edge to the bottom of the cutting edge. When you drag, the other part of the angle will "scrape up". Just a thought on that, though. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  13. daninline

daninline Senior Member

how about putting 2 bump stops on this that a threded so you can ajust the angle of the back blade.
    I think I'll work on this next week but I think I'll try it on the spare plow 1st
  14. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  15. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  16. danno

danno Senior Member

What keeps the blade centered ? Seems its on a ball joint hinge.
  17. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

they work great and are super easy to build, i just made one up for my boss's plow and it works great, a really cheap and simple build, i highly encourage anyone doing residentials to consider building one.
  18. danno

danno Senior Member

Just a reminder; be careful out there when backdragging. There is no "trip action" with them. Damage to the plow and also the driver, could happen. Know whats in the road before you reverse ! :nono:
  19. daninline

daninline Senior Member

it's being pulled from both sides so has no way of moving from side to side.
    It would take a hard hit to move it over if possable plus the angle of the mounts on the top is too close to the sides to swing side to side.
    Well Hapy New Year everyone.

20. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

here is a few pics of mine that i built a few years ago. i just used an old cutting edge and some scrap laying around the shop.