1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back charge for curb repairs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bajak, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

How many of you have been back charged for curb repairs?

I have been offered a contract to repair such damage and it is quite expensive. I repair all of my own damage and realize that not all of us are equipped or experienced enough for these services. The latest is a plaza where over 60 feet of curb is ripped right out of the ground (obviously by a loader) and it wasn't done by a regular truck or traffic. It was by the plow operator. The city/town has a by-law that the curb needs to be replaced because it is protecting a city owned storm retention pond. The owners of the property are ultimately responsible for these repairs but I also know that their snow contractor is the culprit for the damages. If the curb is not replaced the owners of the property face stiff fines along with the cost of the city to repair the curbing.

I'm just curious as to weather or not any of you have made a mistake or done damage only to get a bill after the melt when the damage is discovered.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i had to pay for a metal tank cover at a gas station once....it was $1800......now we leave thoes spots unplowed.....who's fault was that??

3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Oh great now I think I'm lowballing these curb repairs........

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What kind of price are you coming up with to replace 60'?

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Winter of 07/08 we had to pay for concrete damage by plow. It was frustrating because some of it was our damage, and I went and fixed it and it looked fine to me, but the owner wanted a professional. Some of it wasn't our fault and he said it was. It was on the outside of the curb, next to the grass. We had to pay 1600 out of a 4000 a month place.

We take pictures now, because I don't want to pay for someone else's damage.

I hope no one ever calls us on the shards left in concrete that rust, that would be a ***** to take care of in sidewalks that we glide against and over.

We did have to pay to powerwash and CLR interlock at on of our condo's due to the blade being used instead of a poly one.

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I walked thru and videoed all curb at my clients.....didn't have any issues but I was covered....

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Big difference between metal tank cover and pouring curbs. 60 LF is nothing too, not much labor and not much material but that doesnt mean you can't mark up your profit percentage.

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

If its being back charged, dont be afraid to charge.

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I quoted $180.00/ linear meter. That would be 54.89/lf.
    There is actually about 6Gs worth of curb repairs spread out all over the lot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

60 x 60 is 3600, wheres the rest of it come from?

11. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

60 feet is just one section that was ripped right out. There are several other areas in need of repair. Mostly the radius ends of the islands. It sucks guessing where they are while plowing.

12. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I take pics of existing curb damage when I get a new lot, and file it away. Just a little insurance because there's alot of damage out there!

13. GK Snow Removal

GK Snow Removal Member

i price depending on how they pay
    if they are generous

14. redman6565

price what it takes you to make the money you need and don't worry about what other people think, i've learned a lot of that on here as well. you can't be concerned with other people's opinions on pricing because it's all regional and what not. As long as you're comfortable with where you are at, then price it accordingly.

15. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Thanks redman. That is exactly what I do. I am only a one man crew and quite a few people think I'm crazy for what I take on as such. I some times think I'm nuts but I am very happy with my low overhead and personal take home.
    All in all if there is a problem I take full responsibility myself because I can't point fingers at anyone else. I will admit I am a hurting unit after 8 straight hours on the end of a jack hammer but I'm smiling because there is zero damage and tomorrow is all backhoe work.... Then the big pour. I know I'll have to get some help with that. :drinkup:

16. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't had any problems with curb damage, but I did have to replace several parking blocks one year. Not a word was said after the season, they waited untill it was time to resign and said "Oh by the way, you broke several of our blocks out front and if you want the contract again you have to replace them".

It was at one of our nursing homes, where the visitors and guests park. Every parking block marked for handicap parking was broken off where the anchor pins go in. There is no possible way I could have broken them off there. I replaced them and still have the contract.

Taking pictures or even video is a great idea, one I am going to do this fall.

Bossman

17. redman6565

ya you have to. I can't tell you the amount of times the dumpster guys drive over bushes or through landscape islands and then blame it on the snow plow guy. too bad they aren't smart enough to realize my pick up tires are too small to be confused with their large truck tires and my loader tires, well, you can't really confuse the two, they are very different and distinct tread types.

18. plowboss

plowboss Member

inspect your lots before snow starts, take pictures of curbs, if you notice damage during winter that you did not do, bring it to the attention of property mananager, owner immediatly. if you do the damage, then repair it..just tell the truth and be honest, most of the time that works, if they make or want you to pay for damage you know you did not do, then you have to decide if you want to continue to do business with those people.