1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Blading With An 810

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Allagash, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

How efficient is the 810 for pulling up to a driveway, droping the blade, and backing up? I would assume you would retract the wings before doing this? Does it scrape down to the pavement pretty well?

2. brad_diesel

brad_diesel Junior Member

ive always done it with the wings out, never had a problem, yes it does back drag better than my western i had, mainly because of its weight. i know i read on here somewhere that you shouldnt back drag with the wings out, so i probably wont anymore, but all last season i never had any trouble doing so. of course i have the old style with 2 rams per wing, not sure if that makes a differance or not, i know the newer ones have a return spring in place of the 2nd ram. enjoy your toy!!

3. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

Good question I had been told not to back drag with wings out.

4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

DON'T do it!

DON'T back drag with the wings extended! I did it last year and bent one of the wings; just a hair. It was enough so it would not swing back out of the scoop position. It would still retract, but in the scoop position. Looked weird. Cost me about $100 to get it fixed. About 3/8" had to be trimmed to allow it to function again. Apparently the manual says not to do it, but I never saw it. Maybe they should print a manual with more pictures... :)

5. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

In the video from blizzard, the part where the bobcat is demonstrating the 8611 as a year round attachment it looks like he is back blading gravel with the wings out. But I have heard not to back blade with wings extended. So who knows?

6. Got Diesel?

Got Diesel? Junior Member

I back drag with all the skidders and not so much with the trucks but here are the positive and the negitives

Positives
    -very heavy, scrapes clean
    -very wide, we always back drag with the blades extended and really why the hell not, you did buy a big blade didn't you USE IT!!!
    -they do have springs now for the wings so if you do catch something they do "give"
    -perfect back drag in light snow(under 6" and not wet)

Negatives
    -in heavy snow they scrape awesome on a loader cause you can apply down presure but not as well on a truck- the snow has a tendency to build under the moldboard and lift the blade slightly of the ground
    -I recommend in the newer blades with the spring to install the 2nd sping on the wings for more tension so they do not fold forward so easily

Happy Motoring:waving:

7. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

I agree, Iinstall the 2nd sping on the wings.:)

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like I'm getting an old style with the two rams per side, dealer says its not as good. Anybody tried to convert it to the newer design? I wonder if you could run the wing with one existing ram, and add a spring like the new ones.