1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back blades - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mowing & More, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Mowing & More

Mowing & More Junior Member

I am in the air about getting a back blade. I have a couple of guys tell me that they are a pain the ass and to just use a front blade only. I then have a couple of guys who say they wouldn't be without them as the blades save time and cut corners on tear drop drives for example.

So the questions are:

Should I get or consider a back blade and why?

Can I really save time with one?

Should it be gravity or hydraulic (like my front)?

Any other thoughts pro or con on a back blade?
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You should get or consider one if your accounts are right for it. do you do a lot of back dragging? do you do a lot of condos where you have to drag away from a garage? do you do a lot of parking lots or driveways with tight circles?

You can save time with one if you have the right jobs for it. We have one, and the last two seasons we didnt even put it on the truck.

Pros is it works in the right circumstance, Cons no salter, must be more careful when backing, and driving.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

4. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I have a back drag on my 9' I do all residential. Good money spent i think. had a welder i know make it for me.
  5. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I think he is talking about a plow on the back of the truck not just a back drag blade on the front plow.
  6. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I had a back blade on a western years back and it didn't make that much of a difference...I'm going to buy a Snoway because I want to finally not have to keep backing up over and over..
  7. Mowing & More

Mowing & More Junior Member

Just to verify (and I am sorry if I have the equipment name wrong), but I am thinking of a blade on the back of the truck. Just making sure.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm putting a 16' Ebling on 1 of my trucks this year. I have been told they are a real time saver in the right situation.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Search for Ebling.... you will find alot of pics and talk about them. TripleL has a good thread on here with pics ect.

With a back blade you want the downpressure, because you will have driven over the snow before you scrape it.

There would be a big difference for me between a daniels say 8ft back blade and a back blade with wings like the ebling. The wings and the ability to make a box allows you to carry alot of snow and even windrow.

No more turning around. No more trying to get close to that wall with your front blade and watching you dont take your mirror off.

List goes on

the guy who told you that should be a sales man. payup
  12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

The Down pressure dosent make that much of a difference either... In all honesty, when i had it, I barely ever used it cause it was soo gay... IMO, a heavy front blade will do just as good of a job...

PS - The eblings are awsome! and what midtown said, i have a good thread on here somewhere LOL
  13. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think he is a sales man. He only plows to get the extra sales.
  15. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

haha, who isn't a salesman these days! Anyone want a 760lt Blizzard for $2700?
  16. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

Back Blades

I was always the guy who said you don't need one of those or I can do it just as fast without one. But, after using one I am a firm believer in them. Truck wells, parking spots, and at roadways are the places I really seen an advantage. We are located in a snow belt so many trucks in our area have them.
    Take a look at the ones we offer http://www.asinnovations.com/snow-plow.html.
  17. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

your company rings a bell...
  18. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

we have the 16' back blade on two of our trucks and they have saved us a ton of time, especially on the big parking lots. As far at saying you cannot have a salter and a back blade that is not true. we had b & b (competitor of ebling) custom make one of our 16' back blades with 2 lift cyl so the salt spreader drops down btwn the two cyl's when the blade if up all the way. I think it cost us about $800 more to do it that way but now that truck has a 8-10 bliz on frnt, a 16' swing blade on back and a 1.5yd snow ex in the bed. not much that truck cannot do (except make tight turns)

good luck and get the hyd with down pressure
  19. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Back Blade For Sale

I have a 7 1/2' Back Blade for sale. The unit was made by a fabricator in western Michigan. They are extensively used in that part of the state due to the heavy snow conditions. The blade operates off the hydraulic supply from your front blade. The unit comes complete with all parts. Unit is in brand new condition. If interested respond back to Jerry @ 248-828-0220. Pics will be posted shortly.
  20. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

pics please