1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Oak, Dec 21, 2004.

1. White Oak

White Oak Member

I have a 7'6" Meyer used down on long island for usually light snow removal on 5 commercial and 30 residential. Some are gravel and with usually no deep frost. I often have to back drag them. If I were to push them the driveway would be re graded. This obviously does not get them very clean because the plow rides up. I was thinking of hanging a piece of metal behind the blade to carry the snow while backing. Does Meyer make one of these and has anybody ever tried one or made one??

2. White Oak

White Oak Member

Anybody?? Anybody???

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Western makes something like this for their newer plows. The problem with something like this is that in gravel, it will do the same thing. When doing gravel befoere it's frozen over, if you don't have shoes, backdragging is about the only answer. One thing that you could do, and that helps, is when you backdrag, two things. 1. When you drop your blade, if it's deeper snow, move forward just a bit. This makes the blade dig down just a bit, getting a cleaner start on the pull. 2, Keep the blade angled slightly. This causes a bit more of a slicing action, and the blade doesn't float up quite as easy.
    Also, it's been my experience that sometimes you have to repeat. This DOES make a difference if there is hardpack left behind. If you do repeat, make sure that the blade IS angled a bit. I hope this helps.

4. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

Theres a thread in here some where, that a talks about a slit piece of pipe that bolts on to help from plowing dirt. So look a round its here some where.

5. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

The threads called "Gravel Driveways".