1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back blade question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 3, 2009.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

We got a couple extra blades sitting around, one being a dinosaur we don't know what brand it is, its i think an 8' don't have all the parts for it. I had built a back blade before out of an extra moldboard, but due to budget and me never seeing one in person (still haven't, no one runs 'em here) and out of trial and error, I used an electric actuator (screw jack basically) to raise and lower it. Worked well power-wise but was very slow, read: too slow!

We don't have it in the budget to really get fancy with a back blade but it would sure be really nice to have, and having the time and ability and some resources to build it, the only major area thats lacking is the raise and lower equipment.. hydraulics are expensive, yes worth it, but just don't have the money right now to put toward that. And I got thinking, there's easier cheaper ways of lifting the blade, but just would not have down pressure. Down pressure is amazing but how necessary would it be? I was thinking I can get an ATV winch for $100 and use it to raise and lower the blade, it would be very easy and inexpensive to setup, and easily removed and replaced with hydraulics at a later time.

Anyone ever ran a back blade that didn't have hydraulic down pressure? Or can you set the hydraulics on your back blade to allow it to float and if so how well does it work?

The worst part I can think of is that no matter how you make the drawbar, the truck is basically going to want to pull upward on the plow, thus removing some of the pressure achieved by the plow's weight. Not sure how bad that will be. We'll mostly be using it to drag loading docks and tighter areas, I don't think we'll have to scrape alot of packed snow where down pressure is real necessary, and none of our plows have down pressure on the front anyway and work well enough.

Opinons and input much appreciated here.
    Thanks
    Eric

2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

BTT

Someone please chime in or help here please!!!!!!!

I was thinkin too, rear blades on tractors don't have down pressure, only float mode. I think we may have to give it a try with the winch and see how it does, with the right cutting edge attack angle I think it could work fine.

3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

How big is it going to be? A truck can pull a bit more weight rather than push it so down pressure may not be needed as the size of the rear plow increases. The 800 pound Ebling has down pressure. The 1200 pound 3 point Ebling does not.

I asked Mark at Ebling and Sons Blacksmiths why it didn't have down pressure like the little one.

He looked at me and said, "Because the thing is 1200 freakin' pounds."

I was like "Oh."