1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back blade or side wing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 4, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Hey guys. I have a SnoWay Lexan 6' 8" moldboard laying out back and have lots of parts that would be needed to build either a back plow or a side wing plow. I did some checking, the plow is the right width for either project.

I need another project, something to build to make my plowtruck even better LOL... I am checking into the possibility of making a dual purpose setup, convertible I guess you could call it...

I'm envisioning a lift arm setup on the back, the plow would attach to it with a couple hitch pins. Pull the pins and slide the plow around and attach a couple more pins and its a sidewing....

I think most places i have it would be better as a back plow, but I have a church with a large lot (about 1,000 members attend) and a BMV License Branch thats an open square lot... I expect the Pro-Wings will make things a lot faster but wouldn't a side wing be pretty sweet LOL... I just like building things for fun and another toy to have.

If it works out that I could only do one of the two, any opinions which one would be more useful to me? I'm pretty sure it's the back plow but I want a side wing too.

What are the pros/cons of each? Don't yet have a spreader so I don't have to work around that on the back end, I can burn that bridge when I get there though...

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

hmmm I am going to say go back blade. Easier to build. And with doing more driveways that would make your life easier.
  3. Backblade

It really makes parking lots go tons quicker too! And yes, IT is possible to put a backblade and a salter on cause i have both! I think the side wing would be cool, but only for HUGE lots and private roads! I think that i would check your local laws and make the largest backblade (width) that you can legaly have on the road. Thats what i did....I posted some pics of my new backblade in the pictures forum, and if you would like any more and any info please dont hesitate to PM me
    - jon
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure about you idea to mount the sidewing from the rear of the truck. Seems like it would be an awful lot of stress to put on the rear of the truck's frame. Also with the wing hung off of the rear I think you would just push the back end away from the snowload, that's why they usually mid mount them on the larger trucks.
  5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

itsgottobegreen, yeah i've pretty much made up my mind a back blade it is. i don't do a lot of driveways, but some here and there, plus some small to medium size lots where a wing won't gain much time but a back blade will help a lot. the wing wouldn't be hard to build at all i got the parts.

Jon I saw yours its very awesome! I really like it! How does it work without trip springs? Does it catch on cracks alot and when it does, what happens since theres no releif mechanism (that i can tell)?

big dog, no the wing would mount in exactly the same location as these: sidewing.net i mean that the "sub frame" if you will, on the plow would be able to be mounted in either location, on the back lift frame or on the side wing mounts.

I think a back blade it will be. i shall get to work on it tomorrow.
  6. I'll Tell you how it work

IT GOES BAM!!!!!!! and hops over the bump/crack/sewer..........A couple hints for you.....for the back, go to your local sheet metal shop and have them ROLL FORM THE BACK!!! Much more integrety! Also Build a whole new back bumper to mount the plow to.......DONT JUST TRY TO MOUNT IT TO THE HITCH!!!!!!! a good friend of mine did that and within a year ripped his whole reese hitch right of the back of his truck! Need any help please feel free to pm me, or if you want any more pics just let me know. I would be happy to helP!
  7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

first class,

I am using a SnoWay 6' 8" Lexan moldboard and frame that i have already. Its got the frame, cutting edge, moldboard, and was at one time, powder coated but its flaked off in a few spots (I thought the powder coat was more durable apparently not). Anyway, I set it in position where I want it behind the truck and started getting ideas and measurements... Decided my rear bumper would have to come off so I could really get at the frame to build a solid mount for it. Truck did not already have a receiver hitch so what I'm doing is building a custom mount for this blade that will bolt in in place of the bumper.. in summer time, unbolt the blade mount and pop the bumper back on. Its going to have 16" long side wings/box ends. I haven't quite yet figured out what to use for the rubber scraper edge for the ends but I think that since i'm only using half of the height of the rubber edges for my ProWings I might just slice them in half and use half on the ProWings and the other half on the box ends on the back plow.
    Its going to have trip springs on it at least at first. If it doesn't work out well that way then I will put a pin in it to make it solid.
    It will have an electric lift/down pressure unit (no hydraulics).
    It will basically be a 3 point hitch design similar to on a tractor. Two lower points for the plow frame and the upper one will be for the lift cylinder/motor setup. Just pull 3 pins and unplug a 4 pin flat trailer plug and drive away from it you're off... I got my measurements today and ordered my steel going to pick it up first thing in the morning. Took my joystick SnoWay front plow control box apart today and installed a momentary dual action switch in it that will control the back plow.

Mine's going to be different than everybody elses and I know its probably going to require some modifications after I use it and see what needs done where. But no one in my area has a back plow so I have never seen one in person before.. Trial and error..

What did you end up using for your rubber edge material on the box ends, and where did you get it at? I was looking at a few places today and could not find anything suitable except a 3/4" thick "stall mat" at Rural King but it was 4'x6' and thirty some bucks. Not exactly what i'm looking for but may have to settle for it. Think half of my Pro Wing edges will work though so i'll find out tomorrow.

8. It will be interesting!

Well, it will be interesting.....As for the trip springs....they really arent nessacary! NOBODY around here has a backblade that trips at all! And 75% (probably) of companys use backblades! Good lUCk
  9. C&J Snow Plowin

C&J Snow Plowin Junior Member

Western add on for back blading

Does any know how the new add on blade from Western works. It looks like at good Idea that just might work, If it don't lift the blade from build up. If someone is using one please give me the pro's and con's with using it.I should say that the add on im talking about is the angled cutting edge that bolts on with the original cutting edge,but designed and angled back for back blading. :cool:
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005