1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back blade or front blade??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04tundra, Oct 27, 2011.

1. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

Hello everyone, first off let me say thanks because I've been reading and learning a lot here Thumbs Up

a little about myself/situation. The past few years I've been doing a few lawns in the summer and a few driveways (snow) in the winter (mostly family, friends and neighbors) I was using a john deere 316 w/ 54'' plow the past 2 years and I decided that I'm over riding around on a tractor in the snow and I'm upgrading to a plow for my truck.

Here's where i need help, I'm only doing small driveways, some 2 cars wide by 2 cars long, and others 500' long with a 4 car by 4 car pad at the back of the drive. i cant figure out what is better for the job, a plow on the front of my truck, or a rear mounted blade like the Daniels pull plow. Im worried about back dragging/maneuverability with the front mounted plow. but if i used a rear blade, when i pull it out of the drive, i wont be able to stack/pile the snow anywhere. (btw I cant have both, im looking for one or the other)

just looking for your thoughts on this situation.

Thanks everyone
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

If you cant run both, then a front blade is your only option. You might look into the Hinker C Plow.http://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/hp_cplow.html I have no experience with them, but they look pretty sweet and seem to be a very efficient set up for drives. Maybe someone else can chime in. I personally would love to try one.
  3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I agree. I have run a C Plow a few times and it is great for the situation you described.
  4. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

the C-plow looks cool, but 800 lbs is a little too much to hang over the front end of my 1/2 ton truck. i ended up buying a 7' boss poly sport duty. should work good for my needs. thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate it.
  5. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

if you only run a rear plow, how do u expect to stack the snow? thats great u can pull it out of the driveways (and they do a great job with that) but what do u do with it then? I would look into a front plow and then you can buy an aftermarket backdrag edge. I have one on my one plow, I got it from backdragsnow.com or something like that. Its just another cutting edge you put on and its angled the opposite way. It works ok, not the best thing in the world, but its better than backdragging with just the regular forward angled cutting edge.
  6. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Having been around and used back blades (pull plows) for over 40 years, using only a back plow is not an option.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Why cant you run both I do and on a ram quad cab with 8 ft box
  8. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

i dont have the funds for both right now and i dont wanna go into financing.
  9. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

The question was only a front or only a back plow, not both.
  10. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Start up costs?
  11. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah i have a 10yr old boss sport poly still works! Yeah you wont be able to backdrag too well but just push forward as much as possible.
  12. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

If your asking my startup cost Western Wideout 5600.00 installed and Daniels Pull Plow 2100.00 I installed my self in 2 hrs
  13. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

Thats my plan, and worse comes to worse ill use the snow blower to clear the snow where i would have to back drag