1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back blade help !!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by needmoresnow, Dec 26, 2010.

1. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

I am in central ohio and we get very little snow. So i have very little use for this other than I think it will be fun to build . So here is what i am thinking I want to build an extendable back plow. I am thinking I can use like a cheap used v plow for all the cylinders and pump and even the control and just have to fab the steel plow itself . I can use the boss manifold and just have longer hoses made. Here is the problem ... no down force on the boss cylinder and i would have to use springs to retract the wings since they are single action cylinders is their an easy way to change them to double action ? I could use a snow way cylinder for the up and down as they have down force ?? this is just in the beginging stages of planning so feel free to shoot me down and tell me it wont work or it is a stupid Idea and save me some time and money lol thanks guys ! and if any of you have done this and have pics of yours please share !

2. MDSP

MDSP Member

Ebling!!!!!!!!!

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

stop wasting your time and limited resources.

4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I say if you have the time, the worst that will happen is it wont work, but if it does you may have a gold mine there...

5. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

I agree ebling looks like a great blade, but for the price and the amount of snow we get it would take 10 yrs to pay for it lol . And as I stated this is more for fun to try an build than to actually use . I know sounds stupid but I thought it would be fun to try . I have ordered everything the steel, the pump, cylinders and manifold with valves so when everything arrives I will take some pics. And I should mention a friend of mine has a comercial steel shop so its not like I am trying this with a circular saw and and cordless drill lol. And I think it will not only work but be a lot cheaper than an ebling jmo !

6. no lead

sounds like your serious now. i have built a ton of these things. first you will need a double acting cylinder with 8" stroke for up and down. if you use angle cylinders you will need springs to retract. for a control you will need the rocker switch or toggle type switch.

do you plan on this being a 2 arm or 4 arm? 3 point hook up or 5? the geometry here is critical for proper lift and down pressure. make sure the lift cylinder is not in the same plane as the arms or it will destroy itself by fighting the arms.

as far as the shell expanding, i have the most luck milling 2" square tubing with a notch down the center for the cylinder point. the tube gets welded to the shell and acts as a guide for the cylinders.

keep us updated. mistakes will be made but overcome, trust me.:salute:

7. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

No lead, I ordered 2" by 8" stroke cylinders for the lift x 2 and 2x6" for the end wings and their will be some trial and error I am afraid on the mout intself . but I am thinking I will have 2 solid arms to the blade and 2 adjustable what I call 3 pont hitches from (tractor supply) so that I can adjust the blade to be straight up and down . And yes all of my cylinders are double action . If you dont mind me asking where do you get your manifold and valves ?? I had a lot of trouble finding what I think I need and seems very pricey . And as far as mounting the cylinders I was thinking I would cut angle iron and drill hole then weld that to the frame work and put a shear pin throught it

8. no lead

a monarch power unit is your best bet. you can buy one all set up for what you want but it wont be cheap. you could use a boss power unit and manifold but you will still need a 4 way valve for for expand in and out. i would price them against a monarch unit as it will be more reliable.payup