1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Blade for MM2

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DHDB, Nov 1, 2008.

1. DHDB

DHDB Member

I'm looking into buying a back-blade for my 8' MM2. Was wondering if they are a good investment or junk? I'm clearing mostly driveways.

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

havent ran one on a fisher. but depending on how you have them setup they are very helpful.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I had one made up last year, and though I haven't used it yet (end of last snow season). I understand they work great and are easy enough to fabricate up

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

is there a place to buy this/have it made?

5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I have had a couple made by Pappas welding in Salem Ma. I'll post his number on Monday. These are very heavy duty and might outlast the plow. They work great for driveways and loading docks.:drinkup:

6. ColliganLands

snow - thanks for the info. im looking into getting one to help with doing drives and i dotn have the time to make my own.
    thanks again
    -Kyle

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The X Blades work just as good if not better than a back drag blade if you are in the market for a switch. If not, I have heard good things about the back drag blades. I have never owned one, but the concept is there. I think all they do is take a cutting edge, and hang it on the back of the plow so it should work mint.

8. DHDB

DHDB Member

I was told Atlantic Broom (Hyde Park, MA) has back blades avail. I know they stock cutting edges. but last time I was there I didn't see any back-blades. Does anyone manufacture these or are we talking custom fabrication?

9. ColliganLands

im going to assume its custom fabrication. but the shops probably have some sort of standard template that they use to make them. like a as requested basis so they do not stock them. probably takes 2-3 days or so i would guess to make it.

10. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I talked with Pappas welding today, he is very busy right now. The is no real benifit to a back drag on a X-blade because of the high attack angle. It is almost required on all the (standard) blades. I do have a back drag for sale off a 7.5MM2 if there is anyone looking for one.

11. ColliganLands

snow if i had a 7.5 id take it.
    let me know if you come across any for a 8ft hd fisher

12. stillen

stillen Senior Member

you know, I have a friend who is a steel fabricator and navy certified welder. I bet if I could convine him to fab one up for my 8 foot HD straight blade he might do a few... It would help is someone had a picture of what we needed and how it mounts so I could show him...

13. bostonBob

bostonBob Junior Member

14. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I just built one for my Boss, it is the same concept for a fisher as well. I paid approx $80 in steel, maybe $8 for hardware and whatever you pay in labor. Depending on whether or not you want to paint it, it shouldnt take more than a couple hours to complete and install.

ussmileyflag

15. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

snow7899,

Was this an OEM piece or did you fab it youself? Got any pics?

I'm in the Market for a MM plow and a backdrag edge for my truck.

16. charlg

charlg Member

What do you consider pricey? I got a quote from a local guy for $340. Is that a reasonable price?

17. stillen

stillen Senior Member

steel prices are through the roof, thats why the estimates are very high.......

18. charlg

charlg Member

I was asking because this was the first quote I got and wondered if $340 was a decent price. I've nevered priced it before.

19. stillen

stillen Senior Member

lemme call my steel guy tonight..........he'lll give me a guesstimate on a 8 foot section 6 inches high 3/4 inch thick

20. charlg

charlg Member

Great. Thank you.