1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Blade Edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by T130, Dec 2, 2008.

1. T130

T130 Junior Member

I have 2003 Dodge 1500 with western ultra mount poly, i back blade a lot of driveways but it doesnt seem to be doing very good it might be the snows so far have been wet. i was looking to get a back blade edge. does any one have one on there plows. and will it make and different.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I made one for my plow it works greate.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Plowmeister, could you post a pic or two? I am looking at the same thing for my western, and might even think about it for the meyer.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

My backdrag edge pivots on the same pins that the Fisher uses to pivot the trip edge.

This is its position when pushing snow

Backdrag attachment at trip edge pivot pins

Position when backdraging
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Western sells them. I have one, It works pretty good. if your going to get one get it now if the blade is new, if your cutting edge is worn the blade hieght wont match and then it wont plow forward very good.
    Its actually a good idea to replace the cutting edge at the same time as installing the back pull blade.
  6. I can send pictures of my own design
    It is on a Boss and you could not rip it out of my dead cold fingers
    (along with my suicide knob)

Pretty simple and fast/easy to make

just pm and I will email a set of pictures
  7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

is their a back blade set up sold for fishers?
  8. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

if you look up old posts of mine, i have made them so they hinge(mine are westerns)
  9. BGehl

BGehl Member

This link has a description and pictures of the hinged backdrag edges that a good number of folks on this site have, including me:

I took this to a local weld shop and they made one for me in one day.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Thanks for the link ! That is the cats meow. I have a Western backdrag edge that works decent, thankfully most of my drives can be done w/ my Snowman back plow. I may have to fabricate a new one like that though, looks to be a better design.
  11. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

I have edges on both my westerns ans they both work great.
  12. mico lanscaping

mico lanscaping Junior Member

we have a truck that has that back blade on it... it makes it so much easier to have.... but only if your doing a lot of back drag on driveways.. i love it!! its on ultra mount pro plus 8 foot! so if u get one u wont regret it!
  13. accurate

accurate Junior Member
    from ontario

back drag

I have a 8.5ft Western and had a back drag blade installed on purchase...I dont think its all that great...I usually only get about 2 feet of clearing from it before it starts to ride up on the snow...I suspect its the angle the the blade is at cause I had the front of the truck raised about 1"...anyone got any ideas to alter the attack angle????
  14. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

15. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

when you guys are dragging backwards does your plow shake real bad? I had one made and only got too use it a couple of times and it would hop...I found it easier to place backdrag in pushing position and then backdrag
  16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

If yours is the pivoting type, does it still get down under the snow decent and not float up? I often thought about this. In some cases, once some snow gets built up behind the blade and on top of the backdrag edge, it would sort of hold it down. the only difference being, is it would slice at a bit of a sharper angle.
  17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

mine is a pivoting type, and no it didnt seem to ride up on snow but then again i only got to use it a couple times....When I place the back drag straight up with all the blades weight on it, its way to bouncy and shakes the **** out of the truck...I'm wondering if I should have a angle placed on the back drag?Any one else have this happen? What do you mean when you say slice?
  18. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have always run back drags. I wouldnt own a plow without one. If you do a search you will find a couple of threads that I know of that have pics and more discussion on them.
  19. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I got to use my backdrag tonight with about 3" of snow, man I LOVE IT...Wont ever run a plow without one,I figured do to the size of blade, andattack angle its at, I need to backdrag with my plow totally on the ground and it works perfect. No more bouncing around, ill post some actions pics when I finally find my camera cord!