1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back blade and salter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by miked9372, Dec 5, 2010.

1. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

so i want to get a black blade for my truck and i all so want to spread salt/sand i saw a video that you can have both. which spreader will work best or do i need a custom spreader

2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

depends. on one of my trucks we have a back blade and a salt spreader. we had the back blade designed with 2 lift cylenders. one on each side of the salt spinner. and we had it built so it would lift higher than the spinner. then when we want to salt we just lift the back blade all the way up and turn on the spreader and none of the salt hits the back blade. now the other way to do it is with a tailgate spreader and mount it higher across the back of your truck and mount some rubber from the bottom of it to the top of your back blade. thats will help keep some of the salt off of your back blade. however you will be limited to the size of spreader and have the headaches of the rubber ripping off when you get a big load of snow built up in front of the blade. Obviously i preffer option one. good luck

3. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Do a search for ebling back blades and look at tripleL's setup. He has a snow ex poly and a 16' swing wing that rocks.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

You can rig a gravity feed liquid system to work pretty easy

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I sold Triple L his and he has a Snowex not sure of the number but it's the one with the auger not gravity. He had to drop his spinner a little to get a good spread. I would think most spreaders would work fine. You need to have a twin lift back blade that adds a little to the cost.

6. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

can anyone send me a link/video of his set up?