1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B&w turnover to rail adapters

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fireboy5722, May 4, 2014.

1. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

Anyone using an adapter for a fifth wheel plate. I have the b&w turnover ball and just acquired a Reese slider 5th wheel. I need to build an adapter anyone have pics?:mechanic:

2. DStrabb

DStrabb Member
    from MI

Look up the Curt X5. I have been happy with mine.

3. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

the only thing with them is the pin is in center and I have a short bed truck. am working on building one but will put pin offset to put 5th wheel just over axel. that and I think I can build for cheaper then $400-500

4. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Why not buy the sliding patriot 5th wheel b&w makes

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you looked at how B&W builds their Companion goose mounted fifth wheel hitch?

you can not use just the gooseneck ball tube to support the loads. You must add addional tensoners at the outside corners to spread the loads, particulary during turning on unlevel ground.

Pin center should be between 2 and 4 inches forward of the rear axle center. The further forward the more weight carried by the front axle.

PullRite's s "superglide" is the BOMB for fifth wheel towing with a short bed

6. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I've seen installs on Superdutys by just using the gooseneck slot, never heard of the tensioners in the corners, might look into that since I was gonna use mine for a fifth wheel

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Need something to handle cantilever loads if you are turning with the bed higher than the camper, the load on the attachment point is extreme. The trailer will tow better also with out the movement in the hitch system.

I'd change the other way, turn the trailer into goose neckck. Airborne Goose adapter

8. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

i have a b&w turnover ball and the companion 5th wheel hitch. don't skimp on the 5th wheel hitch because you might be a cheapskate. I got mine from SD truck and spring for 879 shipped. I looked at adapters, and nothing will pull the same as a well-designed hitch.

Its worth it in my opinion. it's designed to use the tube the gooseneck uses and it is extremely stable. It works as advertised and won't void any warranties. the best part is you can install it yourself in like 1/2 hour and it leaves your bed free of rails when you want to take it out. Did i mention its made in the U.S.A.?

p.s. you don't need a slider. i have a shortbox chevy and the only time you would ever need it is when backing in a tight location. pulling down the road it's completely unnecessary.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  9. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

That's exactly why I went with B&W, American made. I coulda gotten the reese factory fifth wheel/gooseneck hitch and installed but was reading it's made in China. I'll be getting the patriot 5th wheel hitch when I finally nail down a camper