1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B&M shift kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Banksy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why are you thinking about installing it?

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Don't they make the tranny last longer by tightening up the clutch packs and reducing slippage? I know the shifts get firmer. When this truck becomes a plower, won't the tranny appreciate it? The fluid in the truck now looks and smells brand new.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats a Turbo 400 in that truck?

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Yup, but after 1987 they called them 3L80's for some reason..... That B&M kit fits either.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I had one in my street car, worked great and the shifts were solid and always there, the harded you are on the gas the harded it shifts, I don't see why it wouldn't work in a truck.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The kit has two stages. 1 for RV/heavy duty (truck) and 2 for street/strip.

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I think if you are doing the shift kit, you should think about doing a rebuild on the trany as well, If i remember right, you need to drill out the valve body to speed up fluid to the clutches, so you want to make sure the rest is in good shape. JMO

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Can these trannies be rebuilt right in the garage? Any special tools the weekend wrencher might not have? Summit has rebuild kits in the $200'ish range, minus the TC.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I remember about ten years ago, Peterson's 4wheel & off-road magazine did a story showing how to rebuild a TH350 in your own garage. So it's definitly doable.

You can find almost anything on youtube nowaday's.

Here is a video of a TH400 teardown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUfQ110scls

11. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

If you have not already bought one then i would get a Transgo shift kit just my 2 cents well worth the money and time .

12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I had a friend of mine that worked a a trany shop do mine, Did it in his garage, complete rebuild and install the shift kit, cost me a case of beer,

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks, Cat. That guy is amazing. Ya think he's torn into a few before??

I could never get it back together with that mess of a pile of parts.

Thanks for the transgo tip, mn bob

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't bother rebuilding a perfectly fine TH400, and I wouldn't put a shift kit in specifically for plowing. Transmission shouldn't be shifting while plowing anyway.

Use a [R] [1] [R] [1] shift pattern. Keeping the engine revs up is better all around for improved transmission cooling and alternator performance. If you're doing the occasional long push give her a manual upshift to [2]. Manual upshifts are firmer than auto upshifts so it's a similar result as installing the kit.

If it were my truck I would do a thorough trans fluid exchange and add a big cooler.