1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

[B]Chevy or Ford[/B]

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CGLC, Dec 1, 2004.

1. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I am currently shopping for a new/newer plow truck. In paging through this site, I have noticed that a lot of you guys are running Fords. In the past, I was always a Chevy man based purely on just my upbringing but, I was looking at a lot of the newer F-250's and am kinda having a change of heart. I am interested in hearing real world experience with both brands of trucks and how they have held up over the years. I know that this in not going to be a right or wrong type of question and a lot of it depends on personal preference but any real life experience and opinions based on facts would be really appreciated.

2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

CGLC, Ok, my opinion on these two vehicles is Ford is a better plow truck, and a better truck for putting heavy loads in the bed... The new F-250 or F-350 is just a beast. I currently have an 04 gasser F250, and have ordered an 05 F-350 with the 6.0 diesel. The SD with the 6.0 is purely unstoppable. For example, the new design of the Ford f-250 and 350 has been brought down from the F-550. IT can tow 19,200 pounds, hold a 10 foot plow, and throw like 5600 pounds in the bed. Try that with a Chevy 3/4 ton. No way. Not to mention hanging a plow on a chevy is always a headache, having to deal with timbrens and all that nonsense. Get a Ford man

Kevin

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You may as well buy one ford and get it out of your system,then you can go back to chev. The Ford will be cheaper to buy too.??? :rolleyes:

4. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

I love my 2 Chevy's. I even almost bought another one this year. But decide to hold out for a bigger boat.

5. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

depends on what you use it for.. plow your own place a few times a year or commercial plowing and hauling your big boat all summer long? Ford will work harder for you, but how often are you going to use its potential? Chevy has a MUCH better ride quality in my opinion.. But as you stated, its yours that counts!! :drinkup:

6. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

So what i'm kinda hearing is that Ford is more of a work truck and chevy is more a luxury vehicle? I would be using my truck for plowing in the winter and pulling my lawn trailer in the summer, so all work and a little play.

7. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

Chevy

its up to you if u like laying in the slush with salt falling on your face wile you work on your truck then go with a ford, but if u want a dependible plow truck go with a chevy!

8. caz1

caz1 Member

all i can say is what my vehicle salesman tells me their all junk witch one do you want to drive but when it came time for me to buy my first truck i looked at what all the major road builders in my area were running 95% were fords :and thats what i run today and will always run :salute:

9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

why is it that some chevy truck owners have to bash ford trucks but the ford truck owners do not bash chevy truck owners? Buy a truck that meets your specifacations,price,and color and if its used make sure you get a complete chckout before you buy.

10. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I've owned Fords in the past and I don't think I would buy another one. My current truck is a 2002 GMC 2500HD crew cab short bed, with a Duramax/Allison. I love this truck, handles my Boss 8'2" V blade with ease. And it pulls our fifth wheel camper like it's not even there. It is very reliable, it's quiet, gets good fuel economy and rides great.

11. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

ford is the way to go

Man Ford is the way to go and i have had a ford for all my life and i am not going to change to a Dodge or a Chevrolet ever. Ford has a lot of pulling power and snowplowing power but its my opinion. but don't get me wrong Chevrolet is a good truck but if you want to do some massive plowing get a ford and you will have no problems with the nice sweet F350 dam she is a beast (6.0) diesel noting can stop it nothing. its your choice but i recommend a Ford to you.

Ford F350 6.0 diesel with a Western pro 8.5 ultramount its Sweet

12. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

84deisel, is right, why is it the chevy dudes have to knock the ford guys, and the ford guys just have to take it. i've driven and worked on both. now i have a 04 f350 with a 6.0 deisel. i'm not a big fan of the GMs, but thats not because i'm a ford guy, its mainly because i like the superduty pickups better than the HDs. The HDs are like 5 inchs off the ground at the frame (exaderating yes) but close to. the ford SD look has been something i've liked since it came out in 99. i personally would get the Superduty. it is a nice truck.

13. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Personally, I own an 87 Chevy Silverado (GM Goodwrench 454 w/ 427 truck cam). I'm in love with that old truck. I am really wondering why I haven't seen anything posted from the Dodge guys. I have thought that the Dodge would be pretty good because of the solid front axle. I like Chevys ride the best. My work truck is a Chevy HD 2500 and rides like a caddy. I have always been afraid of the ford front end because of the / \ probelm with the front wheels (seems like they look like they lean in). I don't know if Ford has fixed that or not. Seems like it would be hard on tires. So lets hear about the Dodges.

14. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

fords came out with one of the first Independent suspensions in 1980. they ended it in 96 on the f150s. they did have some tire wear issues with that setup. but over all it was stronger than chevys torsion bar setup they came out with in 88. chevys were known for there ball joint problems and tire where issues with that setup just as much as the fords. ford hasn't runn the Twin traction beam suspension since 97, and that was on the f250s, which didn't have very many tire wear problems because it was leaf sprung. so between the two chevy and ford, you probably can't go wrong. i just like the superduty better than the rest.

15. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

A chevy will ride and handle better and the Ford has a bit stiffer frame and a Dodge has the strongest front axle by far if you plan to plow with a diesel but Dodge trucks still lack a bit otherwise (in my opinion anyway). It is a tuff choice between a GM and a Ford though. If ride and handling matters go GM, if you want a more trucky truck go Ford. Also ford used a deeper first gear in their HD trucks with gas motors (deeper than a 4L80/85) which is a bit better for plowing too.

16. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

In the winter my Chevy plows the farm. The rest of the year it hauls hay in 50 bale loads, firewood, stone to rebuild the walls with, tractor implements, gravel and loads of composted sheep sh!t. Never been stuck. Never been unable to do what I asked it to do. Don't care much for the rear disk brakes, but that's my only complaint.

Pete

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

CHEVY or FORD?.........

Neither....

GMC!!!

The GM's can haul more weight too.

18. butters

butters Member

My Dad used to sell cars at a Ford dealership which later became a Chevy dealer. They had more Chevy/GMC trucks in the shop by a big margin than the Fords. Granted this was several years ago, but overall I have been a fan of Fords for heavier duty trucks and Toyotas for light trucks. We used to beat the snot out of my buddys Toyota and all it did is run forever.

I do, however, have several friends with newer Chevys and they seem to be more reliable than they were in the past. I own an 89 Chevy 1500 that I inherited from my Grandfather and it has been a pretty good truck for the abuse it has been put through so I guess alot of it is luck of the draw. If I were in the market for a new truck I would get an F-250.

Just my $.02.

19. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

For plowing or personal?

I have used both and found this:

Fords:

Feels beefier when you drive. I like the styling of the truck better, and its payload seems higher. More comfortable ride. VERY large turning radius, and harder to see the plow when you're coming to the edge of a parking lot.

Chevy/GM:

Much lower profile for plowing....you can actually see the plow and distance judgements are much easier. Smaller turning radius, more control and maneuverability. Doesn't feel as "beefy" and powerful, and you sense that the truck is working a little harder.

For myself, I bought a Ford F350 Crew Cab with the V10. It's a monster truck for plowing, but my decision was based on the following:
    1. Better styling (imo)
    2. Beefier looks and feel
    3. More comfortable ride
    4. right price at the right time

As far as comparing equipment, you can buy either truck to do the job if its equipped properly...adding leaf springs or suspension components usually aren't difficuly or expensive. Either truck does the job. It just depends on what you like to drive....some people have different qualities that are more important than others.....

Since its my personal truck and I only plow 10 nights a year, the other 355 days are more important than the few nights I'm plowing.

Both trucks can do the job and I would buy either one if I found a good deal!

20. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

actually the ford and teh dodge had the same front axle. both are High pinnion dana 60s if i'm not mistaken. actually i'm not sure but i think the dodge was low pinnion. the innser shafts are 35spline (1.5" thick) and the outer shafts are 30 spline (1.25" something i think). dodge did have a hybrid dana 70 or 80 at one point but it had its problems, and still had many of the same sized parts as the regular dana 60. the newest dodges have a AAM 9.25. the 9.25 is the size of the ring gear in the front axle in inchs. the fords dana 60 has a 9.75" ring gear, right now out of the 3/4 tons and 1 tons ford has a stronger axle.