1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B & C solenoid wiring problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SchweikertLawns, Nov 13, 2005.

1. SchweikertLawns

SchweikertLawns Junior Member

I hooked up my Meyer's plow with E47 pump to test today and cannot get the pump to operate correctly. It worked last year but now the solenoids only get about 6 volts when I hit the switch. If I disconnect the pump power and throw the switch the solenoid works, then I can connect the power wire and the ram goes up, but when it is all hooked up there is some voltage loss and the solenoid will not work. Any thoughts?:realmad:
  2. ght1098

ght1098 Member

Check your grounds and all connections for corrosion.
  3. SchweikertLawns

Thanks. I was thinking about that after reading on some other threads, but the motor works fine from the switch and the A B C solenoids are not individually grounded. If i jump power to the solenoid from the battery it works great.

I will still check the power solenoid for the motor and make sure it is grounded good...hopefully that's it. Any other thoughts?
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

get a helper, take your volt meter, set on 24 volts or more, put the positive lead on where your solinoid connects, scape it in at each end real good so you have a good clean connection, have your helper hit the lift switch, whatever your meter is reading for volts is what is not getting through to the solenoid on your primary wiring.(voltage drop between connections) the higher the number the bigger the drop that is not getting through, do the same test from your neg. batt. to the solenoid mounting and again at the motor, this will identify if you have a pos. or neg problem, where ever your meter shows voltage, you have bad connections or wiring. the goal is zero voltage showing on your meter, a volt or so of drop will not be a problem now but can be in the dead of winter.
    hope this helps.
  5. SchweikertLawns

Thank you all. I haven't been able to check either yet due to really busy schedule but will check in a day or so and let you know. Thanks again.
  6. SchweikertLawns

Stupid Grounds!

Got it working today and it was the ground. Guess the frame is not a good spot to ground. Switched it over to the neg. battery terminal and everything works perfect. Thanks again for all your help.