1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B@B your expert advise needed

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdknight75, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

Have a western unimount plow wouldnt angle left but acted like it wanted to. first we changed the block plow would then angle left but not right, then we changed the motor then the plow wouldnt angle at all, then we changed the cylinders, plow would angle both way but the right angle is very slow takes about a minute to angle all the way right tried to adjust the speed on the block cant get it to angle any faster. changed it back to the orginal block with the new cylinders back to where we started, controller, plow harness, truck light harness all brand new. silenoid, and power harness to plow are used already on the truck. Also plow was used the other night by one of my drivers for about 15 hours and it worked fine, i used it the next morning for a while before it locked up.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You tried to adjust the angle speed on the valve block? Thats not even possible. :confused: The only adjustment thats even possible is for the drop speed.

You need to start back at square one and do a few tests, as this may be a contamination issue but you need to determine that first before throwing more parts at it.

When it now locks up which direction WONT it go?

It always lifts/lowers fine?

3. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

the good news is the parts ant paid for yet guy i know works on them letting me try the parts. It always goes up and down no problem at all. angles to the right but left angle jerks a little bit to the left them jerks back to where it started, i have cleaned out the inside where the motor sits, since i typed the first thread, i took the old block and new block and swithed every valve out with each other, still the same, could there be contaminates inside the block, if so how would you clean it out?

4. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

also when i hit the angle button i put a screw driver up to the coil, on the 2 coil it grabs the screw driver, on the 3 coil it does not nor does the light tester light up, i have replaced the coil, is it supposed to do the same thing as the 2 coil?

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

9 pin connector on plow or controller

6. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

it is a 9 pin and controller is brand new

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The S3 should have magnetism (and the light blue wire connected to it should have 12V) during both angle left AND raise. You said that it raises just fine correct? If so, then it has to be a controller problem as there's nothing else left that could allow it to have mag during raise but not when angling to the left. Run a 12V jumper wire to the S3 (again light blue) and press the angle left function on the controller. Does it angle left ok now?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

Where do i run the jumper wire from, also we did try a diferent controller and my s3 wire is white with a yellow stripe.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No the S1 is the one with the white/yellow...top row right hand side...which is your drop/lower valve. I think you may be mis-identifying the valves and thats likely where the confusion lies. Do you have the mechanic guide for this plow to positively identify the valves? If not, download it so you have the valve references.

Unimount mechanics guide

Then recheck both the S2 and S3 during angle left for magnetism just as a test so we can rule out an electrical issue, but I'm gonna say you'll find they will have it. And if they do then you have a hydraulic issue and we'll go from there.

10. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

i did recheck the valve it is getting power, is the dropp and raise valve supposed to have magnetism, it does not?

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Raise and lower valves are 2 different valves. S1 lower, S3 raise.

My question is, if you know a guy that works on western pumps and lets you get all of these parts UNTIL you find the problem why hasnt he helped you figure out the problem instead of giving you all of the parts to build a new pump.

12. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

he did work on it friday he said in 15 years of working on them he has never seen anything like it, he is going to try to get some answers from western tech. i would just like to figure it out before i have to buy all these parts.

13. Crash935

Just out of curiosity, how old are the hoses?

14. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Run ajumper from your battery to S3 and then hit the controler and see what it does. Don't rule out the ground wire even if you're getting power there. If you power up the correct coils and run jumper cables to the motor, it should respond and let you know if it is truck or plow problem. When I said 9 pin, I meant check power at 9 pin truck plug, but you have to ground #5 pin back to battery to make it think controller is hooked to plow.

15. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

i cant tell you how old the hoses are i bought the plow used i have not replaced them, but they appear to be in good shape

16. Crash935

When you angle right the S2 coil magnitize, when you angle left the S2 and S3 magnetize.

Do you have or are you using the mechanics guide?