1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B&B Urgent help needed, lost reverse in 05 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by flykelley, Feb 22, 2010.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    was stacking snow and went it put it in reverse and nothing, trans fluid not burnt, temps never over 200 degrees. I have it in the garage right now thawing out, snow is packed around the skid plate and I would guess the trans also. Going to look for broken wires or a pin pulled out out of harness. I do have all the rest of the gears, any ideas or thoughts?????

Thanks Mike

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Broken reverse band...

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That would be my guess also.

4. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

been there done that.... Broken reverse band...

5. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

It could also be the NSBS (Neutral safety backup switch). Its located on the side of the trans around the shift linkage. Its happend to me before. Sometime snow/water gets into the connector.

6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yep read on nsbs

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Is it an Ally or a 4L80?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9. flykelley

4L80, trans

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Then it's probably the band.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Easy positive identification test since you still have all forward gears Mike. Do you have full compression braking if you hold it in manual 1st, run it up to around 20 MPH and quickly back out of the throttle? If there's little compression braking in manual 1st then the rear band is broke. Thus no reverse either.

You know what comes next.

12. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

B&B what causes the reverse band to go while in D? Op said he was stacking and shifted to R and had nothing.

Just looking for some clarification.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing, because it doesn't break until you engage it. But they'll do it so quick and cleanly on the initial engagement that you never even feel it apply and then break. Kind of gives you that :confused: feeling when they do.

14. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

So basically the R band can go at any time regardless if your plowing or not. I could hop in my truck tomorrow morning and throw it in R and nothing......? That sucks!!!!

15. flykelley

Hi B&B
    My ass is dragging been plowing for about 18 hours and now this. This is why I posted this question to you, wanted to see if there was a easy way to tell if it was in fact a rear band broken. If it is a rear band do you suggest just replacing it or are there some other mods that should be done at the same time.??? Also anybody have a good rebuilder that is quick?
    Ya I know I want everything, but we have more snow on the way and really need to get this truck back on the road.

Thanks for all of your help, too tired to do this test tonight but will do it first thing in the morning and will report back.

Good Night Mike

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% correct, it can let go at any time and with no prior indication that it's about to.

And some just die no matter how well you treat them but it's still important to keep reverse abuse to a minimum as much as possible until it's time for a rebuild. Then it can be upgraded to a good quality band...so you can pound it all you want then. Or until the next weakest link lets go. :D

17. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Where to you suggest buying upgraded 4L80 internal parts at B&B?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How much usage does it have on it Mike? If it's been taken care of there isn't much else that would need done beside upgrading the band. Many guys jump the gun after breaking the band and want to rebuild the entire unit, but unless it's been pounded or has a ton of miles on it the rest of the internals will usually still be in like new condition. I've torn many down that all the wear parts still looked like new and simply replaced the band and re-installed it and it lived a long life.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I purchase most of my trans parts through a local supplier Steve so I can't give you an exact place to go on the web but I'm sure there's many of them out there. However, when you're looking around try to find a genuine "ALTO" brand kit as they produce some of the best rebuild kits and many distributors sell them. Or at least try to find someone else's branded kit that includes ALTO's clutches and steels. If you're not aware ALTO is one of the biggest supplier of trans parts out there and much of their stuff is manufactured in the good old USA. You'll be starting out with good quality components then.

Note: most kits don't include the front or rear bands so they have to be purchased separately in many cases.

20. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Happened to my brother, pushed into a pile and went to backup at first he thought he was stuck no such luck.:cry: