1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B&B or anyone else...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 06HD BOSS, Jul 26, 2008.

1. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

quick question on my 06 2500...

why when putting my truck into 4 low it grinds really bad. when taking it out of 4 low into neutral is fine, but when putting it back into 2 wheel it grinds really bad too.
    for the record, when going in or out of 4 low, truck is on level ground with no pressure on tranny. before shifting the transfer case i always put the truck in neutral then put the parking brake on, so when shifting to park the truck doesnt rock into park on the tranny. (make any sense?)

this grinding happens whether in park or neutral. and only 4 low.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yikes! Sounds to me like transfer case issues but that's a total guess. I'm interested to hear what B&B thinks it is :salute:

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It is very common for a truck with an auto tranny to act this way when shifting the T-case..

sometimes you will need to shut her down when this happens.

Fallow your owners manual for proper shifting procedure.

when shifting the t-case do it very quickly.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

i always (99%:blush2:) shut the engine down to make the LO shift:nod:

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a floor shift model then there's the magic answer right there Boss.

When shifting from 4 hi into low (or vise versa) pull the shifter with a sharp quick pull, enough to complete the entire shift...don't hesitate in neutral. But even with the correct shift technique, some/occasional grinding is normal and wont hurt a thing.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cheater! :p

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Gear grinder:eek:

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mine doesnt grind...magic touch. :D

9. 06HD BOSS

i guess i feel a little better now lol. it is a floor shifter and everytime i shift i do it as quick and smooth as possible. -=grind! clunk!=- :cool:
    thanks guys

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Us normal humans don't have custom B&B built trannys ;)

11. the_experience

the_experience Member

Take your foot off the brake while you are shifting as well. I would venture to guess your owners manual not only says it is acceptable, but preferable to have the truck freely rolling at say 1-2mph while you make one crisp shifting motion. The hesitation is a killer. Ditto for stepping on the brakes and not allowing some play for things to "fall into place" as it may be. Given how the shift collar operates within the t-case I'd expect it to grind more going back in high range than shifting to low.

12. 04HDBoss

04HDBoss Junior Member

Hey I'm kind of having the same problem.. I have 04 chevy 2500HD and every time you put it into 4 wheel high it sounds and feels like something fell out of the tranny.. It's had this problem since it was new and I've taken it to 3 different dealers now and the last time they said it was something internally on the transfer case.. I'm very angry because it's had this issue forever and they said it has no problems before.. Now they say I need a new transfer case or rebuild that one.. It shifts fine if you not moving.. Anyone think this is a serious problem? I think the dealer is full of BS myself.. there is a problem but I don't think its the transfer case or it would have went out before now.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I do this also.:drinkup:

14. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

i thought the grind clunk into 4LO was normal???? :s
    4HI doesn't make a sound..

15. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i tried one time to do that and i got it in nuetral and it grinded like a Bi*ch so i just stopped and never tried again. no problem though with 2wd to 4high.

16. postman11

postman11 Junior Member

lastyear i plowed with a 2003 chevy 2500 HD, mine did it too. im pretty sure its just normal going into low, i just stopped using low and always kept it in high.

17. jwkv

jwkv Member

I only shut it off if I miss the shift and it grinds.. But then again I rarely use LO...

18. 06HD BOSS

like B&B said above, just shift it quickly with no hesitation. i used 4low a couple times during the summer to pull out shrubs and a tractor and followed his guideline and it didnt grind at all.

19. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

Ive never had any of mine grind but I had one last year that everytime i would go from 4hi to 2 wheel about 1/2 mile down the road i would get a loud clunk sounded like the tranny fell out but this year the problem is gone.

20. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

nobody mentioned that it's a good idea when you want to shift into low range to put the tranny in neutral and your foot on the brake! one of my trucks will not go into low unless you do it this way. :salute: