1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B&B Help!!Blown accessory adapter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Burkartsplow, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Blown accessory adapter. I run my mini lightbar through the accessory adapter on my 2004 2500 hd. I blew the fuse in the plug of the lightbar and switched it out. thought it would work again. it did not. Put in cigarette lighter and it work, but cant use in there because it will blow the truck fuse in a minute. Now i know the lightbar works so it is the accessory adapter. Look in the fuse box and no bad fuse. looked under the hood and could not find a bad fuse in there or I just could not find the right one that takes care of the accessory adapter. Do you know which fuse it could be.I looked at the AUX PWR 2 fuse inside the truck and it was fine and i looked at the AUX PWR fuse under the hood and it was fine. Any info would help. I know it is something simple, but I have looked over my owners manual 5 times and at the fuses and just cant find it.. thanks. aaron

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Hard Wire it :D

With the money you make you need to buy a new full size LED :D

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the "AUX PWR 2" (will be a 20 amp fuse) is good then it probably smoked the socket itself. Happens alot. They just can't take any kind of draw. Poor designs IMO. Even a cell phone charger will ruin them over time or if the charger has too many ground tabs on it, it shorts out the plug..popping the fuse and killing the socket in the process.

I'd double check the fuse by replacing it with a known good one as they can "look" good but be blown near the edge where you can't physically see it.

If it all checks out, use a test light and check the center pin in the socket itself for 12V. If it has it, then it's a ground problem with the socket and you'll need to change the socket.

4. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Thats the same thing I told him in the Voice mail I left him :D

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Guess he didn't wanna hear it from you Clap..:realmad: :D

6. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Maybe its bacause I told left him this voice mail, wile reading your post :D LOL

- He just tested it and has power at the Center pin, and at the outside ring of the round housing. dose that mean the Socket is bad?

"Hes out plowing

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the accessory is known to be good and it has power at the center pin, then yea the sockets fried.

And you cheated...:D

8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

How do you get the Socket out !

9. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I'm wondering if he shouldn't isolate the circuit with a seperate switch and a $4.00 relay from an auto parts store. I do this on all my accessory truck lighting with excellent results.
    This way, you can safetly tap into an ignition switched circuit for the feed to the switches with minimal draw (just the relay) then mount the relay under hood where it's easy to install a fused line from the battery and then to the load. Just a thought.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're not fun to remove..

1. Use two small screwdrivers to push in the small little square black plastic pins. They are about 1/2 in from the edge of the socket.
    2. Once the two pins are pushed in, pull the socket out. The black ring stays in place. The socket must come out of the black ring before the ring comes out.
    3. Once the socket is pulled out, unplug it.
    4. Then the black ring can be pulled out.

To install new one:

1. Pull plug and wire through ring/cover.
    2. Snap ring/cover onto console. Make sure that the cover is installed in the same orientation as the other cover (so it opens in the same direction, lift up)
    3. Plug socket back in.
    4. Slide socket into black ring. It only will slide into the black ring one way. There are 3 ridges on the socket that align with slots in the black ring.
    5. Push socket all the way in until it is flush with face of black ring.

A sledge hammer will work too...

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Im trying to walk him thru it on the phone he says it a PITA lol

12. Burkartsplow

I can not get that damn thing out of the socket. I followed your directions and it does not want to come out. I might just hard wire later if I cant get it fixed.

13. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

LOL

Now i dont seem so smart do i LOL

14. Burkartsplow

There you go again. Taking credit for someone elses knowledge. I am going to try again and see if I can get it out. If not I already have the switch in the cab to hard wire so That will just take a couple of minutes to cut and connect, but i really dont want to. why cant it be simple...

15. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

LOL, I never took credit !!!!!!!!!!11

Just passing the info

16. Burkartsplow

yeah i guess so EH'...

17. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

try needle nose pliers .big hands = hard 2 get 2

18. Burkartsplow

got that damn thing out. Used vise grips and yanked the ****** out. Have to go and pick up a new at the dealership. $8.99. you see that tree down on lake, im sure you did. had a few calls from people over there today to plow them out. made some good money.

19. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

You better get 2 of them for that price :D

20. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

ya did you see my tax money hard a work with the 2 cops babysitting the intersection and CASH is king