1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

B&B -Brake light stay on!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by V-Dogg, Apr 9, 2010.

1. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

Parked the 02 2500 hd on Thursday at about 1 PM.Came out Thursday night about 7 pm and saw the breaklights on reflecting off the garage door. Truck was dead and put the charger on.I took the charger off about 10-11 pm as it showed a full charge,and the break lights were off.Went to leave this am about 11am and the tail lights were off.Went to start the truck and it almost did not start.Got it started and the tail lights were on.Had to leave and when I got to my destination I got out and the the tail lights were off. Came home ,parked in garage and TL were out.I just walked out into the garage and the TL are on. Pressed the pedal several times and still on. Disconnected the wires from the break light switch and the lights are still on??? B&B help or any one feel free to chime in.

2. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

Was out trying to figure it out.Pushed on my trailer brake controller and it did not light up like it should.So on a wim I unplugged the harness that you wire the brake controller to and .... the brake lights went out??? Pushed on the pedal and lights came on,released pedal and lights off.So I assume it has some thing to do with the brake controller???

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think you are on to something. Keep the trailer brake controller un-plugged for a while and keep a close eye on the brake lights. If all is good, then you just have a crapped out brake controller. I've seen brake controllers do some weird things sometimes.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Exact same thing happened to my 99', my guy backed into a snowbank and squished the trailer plugin. Causing the tail lights to stay on.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would look at the trailer plug. Seen a few bent pins cause issues.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Or much more commonly internal corrosion, causes the rear lighting to do all types of strange things.In fact it's the very first thing I go after on any truck when there's any strange lighting issues.

If it still has the OEM 7-way plug disconnect the harness right at the rear of it. I think you'll find the lights then work fine and you'll probably also find corrosion in the plug.

Happens on all of them, not just a GM.

7. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

Thanks all!, I'll start trying some of these things.I'll update on what I find.

8. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

I checked the plug out and it was perfect.No bent prongs and corrosion.I didn't think they were bad as I pull trailers alot and keep the plug electrical greased,and keep a eye out for corrossion. Does anyone else think it is a bad brake controller as DeereFarmer suggested??

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you also disconnect the plug on the rear side and check there for corrosion? That's where I find most of it because greasing the front side keeps that end corrosion free but no one thinks to maintain the back side.

Sure it could be, but you also mentioned "tail lights" in your first post. Those wouldn't be affected by the brake controller. Or did you mean brake lights? If so, then yes the controller may be the cause.

10. DeereFarmer

I think he meant brake lights, but B&B is dead on with checking for corrosion where the factory 7 round pigtail meets the wiring harness. That can be a mess of corrosion.

11. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

Yes, I did mean break lights sorry my bad.No I did not check the back side of the plug I will do that next. Thanks!

12. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

I checked the back side of the plug and the 3 or 4 others that went into a central block in the rear and they look like they came from the factory. I plugged the brake controller back into the "fuse" block this am as I was pulling a trailer and the brake lights were on and the controller did weird things. I assume the controller is shot?? What do you guys recommend for a very good controller-Techa??? what ever that name is. As always all advise is much appreciated!!

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tekonsha P3 or Prodigy

14. DeereFarmer

I'm with 2Cor on that. Either one is great.

15. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

It was the trailer brake controller! Bought the Takonsha P3 as suggested and it is awsome. I've never seen a trailer stop so nice!!Thanks for all the help and advise every one!

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent!