1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Axle ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cbeard, Feb 21, 2010.

1. cbeard

cbeard Member

I just bought a 2002 F-350 crew cab long PowerStroke with 35,000 miles on it. The sticker says it has a 5200 lb front GAWR. What is the difference between the 5200 lb axle and the 6000 lb axle other than the 800 lbs capacity. I'm not going to use the truck to primarily plow snow, however I was wanting to put a plow on it to have just in case I needed a extra plow truck? What size plow would you put on this truck?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

the axles are the same....a dana 60
    the springs are whats different.. id recommend code X springs whcih are the 6000lbs springs. and then you can put any plow you want on that thing. dont run anything under a 8.6 IMHO

3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

What kind of plowing will you be doing? That should be the deciding factor for what size you should go with.

Just my .02¢

4. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Take the truck and put it on a scale and see how much the front axle weights.I have a 08 F250 with the V10 and with a new Blizzard speed wing I'm right at 5200lbs.with about 800lbs in the box.Your diesel will weight a bit more than mine. I was thinking of up grading the front springs just for the extra height.

5. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I've got an 03 diesel 350 crew cab long bed, I have a Boss 7'6' plow with wings. I only plow a couple driveways and it works fine for me. I put on a leveling kit from summit racing and the front doesn't sag at all.

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I agree 100%.

7. cbeard

cbeard Member

Where might I get the code X springs? Are the code X springs aftermarket or Ford. ZamboniHDB, I want the truck ready in case of a breakdown. I know the truck is long and not a good fit for the commercial lot I plow. But if I needed it in a pinch I would have a back-up. This truck is really nice and I don't want to plow regularly with it.

8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Your truck is no better or worse then a long bed super cab truck. There are plenty of those trucks plowing commercial and residential properties.

X code springs are what Ford installed at the factory with the plow prep package through MY 04. You could also head over to your local spring shop and have them install a leaf or two. Be aware that the ride will be harsher with stiffer springs or an added leaf or two. I have the code X on my '04 and I had a spring added to each front corner. I only run a 8.5' Pro Plus.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  9. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

double post

10. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I meant coils but couldn't find a place to edit after posting.