1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

axle seals on 87 Ram Charger

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Mar 20, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

This is a great plow truck... my favorite of all time.
    Took it in for inspection... mechanic's list icluded:
    steering box
    front brakes
    rear brakes, wheel cynlanders, and axle seals
    u joints on the rear shaft
    emergency brake cables
    The he said it wasn't worth fixing... translate I don't want to work on that POS....

So I found a Vietnamese mechanic in the city to do all the above for $350, I brought all the parts. Thought that was a good deal, BUT the emergency brake doesn't hold well and when plowing on Vlaentine's day I definitely smelled gear oil, then plowing on St Patriclks day, I left the emergency brake on for a short time while in 4 low and could definitely smell gear oil cooking, which confirmed my guess that the axle seals had failed and gear oil is getting on one or both of the rear brakes.

That same mechanic later charged me $200 for R&R the oil pan, I bought pan, he bought gasket and oil. Replacing the Hi-low beam dimmer switch, on the floor, and adjusting the door latch (that probably took 45 seconds)... SO I thought he was gouging me there...

So now... I still need to take this truck in for inspection. I'll pull the drums and check the rear brakes which I AM sure are oily... If they are, is that due to his error? And should he therefore replace the seals and brakes at his expense?

your thought are appreciated... thanks
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

When he did the rear seals did he install new brake shoes? Or did he just clean up the old ones like new?
    Sounds like he reused the old ones. That could be the reason the parking brake did not hold and that you smell burnt fluid.
    Do you see any fresh fluid on the back side of the drum?

The parking brake is the last thing I use when plowing as they have a nasty habit of freezing up in the applied position.

You bought the new parts did you get new brake shoes too?
  3. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I bought the new shoes, but that doesn;t mean he put them on come to think of it... When I was in his shop I remember seeing the old wheel cylanders and axle seals after he finished the job... but i didn't see the brake shoes....
    I'll take it in to my regular shop for inspection and see if it passes...
  4. IF you can.Get those 60s. How did the front end or 4x problems work out?