1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Axle Seal Part #

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 99zr2, Jan 13, 2008.

1. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Does anyone know the gm part # for a axle seal on a 02 gmc 2500 hd with a full floating rear axle? I have everything else I need to do the job but the seals.
    My brother that woks at a Federated Auto store got me two sets of seals, one was not even close and the second looks close but not sure if it is going to work. The part # I have for the second is F2081 or 28425. Both those #'s are on the box.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The factory seal you want to use is the factory two piece seal that the truck is originally equipped with.. GM p/n 15007008. Do not use an aftermarket seal as they are a standard one piece seal and won't last on the machined surface that GM left on the axle tube where the seal rides.

When you remove the hub, look on the axle tube where the seal rides VERY CLOSELY as like I mentioned the GM seal is a two piece design and the outer section actually spins in the inner section (doesn't spin on the actual axle tube). So it being a two piece design, the inner part will usually still be on the tube. Make sure you remove the inner part of the seal from the axle tube as it usually stays on the axle tube when you remove the hub.

If you don't realize it, or don't know it's a two piece seal arrangement and you reinstall the hub with the new seal, it won't go all the way on since the inner piece of the original seal may still be stuck on the axle tube, damaging the new seal as soon as you push the hub on.

3. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

B&B, I had my brother check that # and it has been superseded by p/n 15823962. I am going to get them next week for 23.68 a piece.
    Thanks for the #.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea GM is constantly changing p/n's but as long as you have a starting # it'll still get you where you need to go..

They changed a p/n for a blower resister I checked on yesterday.. they have changed the p/n 4 time in the last 7 months! Makes it a little tough to stay on top of. :cry:

5. santelikk

santelikk Member

I have not had any problems with the 1 piece seal that I changed on the truck. 15K since the new seal.
    Like B&b said remember to get that inner seal off. It can be a pita.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You got lucky :D

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Yet another cool thing learned here from B&B. I've changed oil seal on one side twice and other side once. Never knew about the 2 piece seal. Next time that's what I'll get. Thanks!

8. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

the old man lost a rear seal on his 02 chevy a few years ago. wheel bearing was just howling like a wolf at the moon. he pulled into the dealership with smoke flyin from the wheel lol it was a good scene. they fixed it same day, luckily it was still under warranty then. truck went fine after that until he lost the oil pump :( that was a mess..... anyway good luck with the seal. do it right the first time and it will treat you good.

9. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Yeah Dan that is why I asked the question about the #. The one my bro got me was a one piece and the one on the truck was a two piece. Got me wondering you know.

I got the seals from GM. Just saveing some cash for the disks, pads, and e-brake shoes. Then maybe I can go get a inspection sticker. Here is something cool my brother-in-law told me about AZ were he moved from recently. When you buy a vehical in AZ you only need to get it inspected once. Pretty cool I thought.

10. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

well once is better than florida. you dont need an inspection at all down there. who knows what kind of crap you could be buying? and with all the scams going on nowadays, i couldnt justify buying anything used in a state that doesn't have inspections. there are so many things that go overlooked because people dont want to be bothered to maintain their property.

sure it can be a hassle when you need to get your equipment all inspected and legal, but when it comes time to buy something its good to know that the most you'll have to worry about is the previous 11 months of stupid maintenance to do that may not have been done because it was inspected 12 months ago - or less. we get nickle and dimed to death in this country over everything. in this case, whats another $20? my .02 even tho its a little off topic.....