1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

axle seal leaking

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by johngus, Feb 11, 2002.

1. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I have a 97 1500 4x4.my left front axle seal is leaking.has anyone ever changed one before?I know about removing the hub and axle because I recently changed the u joints.guess I disturbed something!!!!!any tips greatly appreciated.thanks,John

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

First thing, degrease it from the outside and wait a week or two. When you pull an axle oil will get caught in the tube and take a while to drain out.

If you see its still leaking you probably caught the seal re-installing the axle. You will need to pull the axle shaft and diff cover, you can install the seal yourself with the proper size fender washer a couple nuts and a length of threaded rod. Basically you center the new seal in position, hold the washer and nut behind it (between the diff carrir and seal) put the rod thru from the wheel end give it a turn or two then add a washer and nut and tighten it up, pressing the seal in place. This time be careful installing the shaft!

3. johngus

johngus Senior Member

does the seal go in from the inside or outside?its definetally leaking because it was dry for a few weeks and now it started leaking

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm not positive,but im pretty sure the diff carrier has to come out,to change that seal,I did an older 84,ra,and that what we had to do,it was a PITA job.If its not leakingi bad,keep driving it,and keep an eye on fluid levels,these leaks have been know to fix themselves .I cant explain it,but i know of a few trucks where the leak has stopped,and no t came back for years,(no it didnt run out of gear oil).

5. thelawnguy

From the inside...

6. John DiMartino

The short shaft should have the seal on the inside,the long shaft,with the central axle disconnect has it on the outside.The short shaft side is the one that the carrier needs to come out to change.

7. thelawnguy

The CAD side seal is inside the CAD unit, outer race, dont have to remove the shaft section from the CAD to the carrier, much easier to replace than the drivers side where you need to go into the pumpkin...

8. johngus

johngus Senior Member

Thanks for the replies,I'm gonna have to change it,it's leaking pretty bad.time to bite the bullet and get in there.Oh well,maybe it's time to buy a Ford.I can't believe the u joints were bad at 48K.there was no grease in them,they were dry as a bone.what kind of crap isthat????????

9. John DiMartino

Johngus,no disrespect to Ford,but if you think they've got a better front end,your wrong.IMo,GM;s require the least in front end repairs.They all will wear,its normal,especially ball joints,and U joints on solid axle trucks.On IFs,lower ball joints, idler arms,pitman arms,and Cv joints wear the most.

10. johngus

johngus Senior Member

maybe i'm just frustrated,I just remember my 80 F250,it had over 100k with original u joints and it had a hard plow life and lots of beach time.I'm sure everything nowadays just does'nt seem as good as it used to but definetly is better.I hear th GM's are pretty good but just can't bring myself to IFS.Gotta love that solid axle thing for simpllicity or at least I thought it was??????:confused: :rolleyes:

11. John DiMartino

Johngus,the 80 Ford;s U joints didnt turn all year either,99% of new trucks have a CAD system,and the u joints tuen all year,under no pressure,but they still turn.The old lockout hubs were nice for that.

12. johngus

johngus Senior Member

yes thats true.i know thewre's a company making a conversion for the dana 60's to go to manual hubs but noyhing for the 44 yet.I don't know what Dodge was thinking when they designed this.Thats the only reason I would go back to Ford,they've gone back to manual hubs.

13. johngus

johngus Senior Member

well I changed the axle seals today,both sides.Major PIA job relly not that difficult once you figure out how to make a tool to press the seals into the housing.Hope I never have to do them again!!!!Thanks to all you gave info on replacing seals.